The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

C-Span

I just watched C-Span's 'Washington Journal' on the BBC Parliament channel. I really enjoyed it, was very impressed by the quality of interview and journalism. The main guest was a woman from USA Today, can't recall her first name, but her surname was 'Page'. She was great.

What I found particularly interesting, was that this was a different style of programme to the ones we normally get over here. Usually, our American news programmes come from Fox or CBN. To me, Fox seems very like our Sky news and CBN seems very like BBC 24hr News channel. Washington Journal struck me as being like the kind of stuff we get on Newsnight and Channel4 News, our two best quality news programmes.

What I'd like to know is: What do you guys think of C-Span? In particular the Washington Journal?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I kept watching the programme after posting this and a guy called Babak Yektafar, editor of the Washington Prism, was giving an analysis on the situation in the Middle East and also relations between US and Iran; and Israel and Iran. What a facinating guy. He made some really interesting points.

I love it when I find a good news source. We live in a world of 24 hour news channels and are bombarded by the stuff, yet so often it's of a poor quality. BBCNews 24 is awful; ITVNews 24 is awful and SKYNews is worse than awful! From what I've seen of the American news channels, they aren't much better either.

I am going to put this one on my must see list for Sunday. Sunday used to be the day we got loads of politics shows in the UK. Now we're down to 'The Politics Show' which is mediocre at best, and 'The Sunday Edition' which is like a low grade magazine and occasionally touches on politics. Now I can get my Sunday politics fix through C-Span!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Pangloss62
Lecturer

CSPAN FAN

Hey Dana.

I LOVE CSPAN! Watch it all the time. CSPAN 1, 2, and 3. You'll get a good sampling of most points of view both Conservative and Liberal. They often cover presentations of various "Think Tanks" that we have here. I like Washington Journal for the call-in comments; everything from lucid intelligence to fanatical ranting.

BookSpan, another part of CSPAN is equally good.

Glad you like it.

http://www.cspan.org/