The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Bumper Stickers

I've been working on a design for bumper stickers that will also go on yard signs, highway signs, business cards, stationary, car magnets, etc.

I decided to use one that reminds me of the John Kerry campaign because he won my district by 88% and people might accidentally vote for me because it reminds them of him. I first designed one without the word "Libertarian" on it, because they'll see that on the ballot. Then I got a bunch of heat from those in the LP saying I should put it on there.

I'd like your opinion....and any donations you can send to help me actually buy campaign supplies.

Thanks for either your input, or your donation, or both.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sticker.pdf (207.4 KB, 482 views)
Old 04-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Here's the 2nd one...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LP Sticker.pdf (210.0 KB, 304 views)
Old 04-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
marichiko

Eh, go with the first one. The voters should be informed enough to know that you are the Libertarian candidate. I don't recall that the Kerry stickers said "Democrate for President." You should be out there generating enough publicity for yourself that the "libertarian" part would be redundent. IMHO.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you'll get the irish vote, no doubt.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

First one, essential information only when you're trying to get their attention.
The red, white & blue must be good....everyone uses it. Matter of fact, election stickers become a blur, in election years, because they all look alike.

When I run for King, I'm gonna use pink or bright green, you know, something unique. That way if my sticker catches their eye, they won't have to be able to read it....they'll know what it is.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The first one is very good.

The second one has some design problems that we needn't dwell on.

And I highly recommend that you remove the URL. From a design point of view only - not because of the website itself. The bumper sticker should convey an elegance of simplicity and a presumption of victory and its very close to doing that.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Traditional electoneering wisdom is that you identify your party during the primaries, since that's when your own voters will vote for you; and do not identify during the general election, since that's when you are trying to appeal to all voters. Only in districts that are already extremely partisan will you find general election signs indicating party affiliation.

Since you have no chance of winning, your role is to "get the word out" and bumper stickers will not achieve this goal whatsoever so they are a waste of time. It would be a more effective use of money to produce issue-based stickers which would still be useful after November.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
When I run for King, I'm gonna use pink or bright green,
Well, you'll certainly get the preppy vote!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #9
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
The first one is very good.

The second one has some design problems that we needn't dwell on.

And I highly recommend that you remove the URL. From a design point of view only - not because of the website itself. The bumper sticker should convey an elegance of simplicity and a presumption of victory and its very close to doing that.
My original one looked like this attachment, but I got a bunch of email from people saying I should include my URL on everything to raise donations, and that I should include the Libertarian party so I redesigned them this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #10
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

yeah, go with the first one......
Old 04-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I agree that the first one is superior. However, should you decide to introduce a bit of truth through levity into the campaign, may I respectfully submit:
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Go with the first one.

Sounds like your local libertarians have a penis envy issue ...

I can't remember the last time that I saw any campaign literature with the party clearly identified ... and it usually takes a good 15 minutes of searching around a campaign website to find it in the small print.

The goal these days is to appeal to everybody, not just your own party. For libertarians, this is critical.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

I think the Clinton Campaign folks coined the motto: KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I feel like I've just been fucked by a BIGFAT DICK. Via bumper sticker.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I think it would be funny to have a bumper sticker with a picture of Dick Cheney that says, "YOU SUCK, DICK."