The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Patio Gardening

There wasn't a garden category so I put this here.

This is the first summer in this new apartment and I have found that his patio is too windy for flowers. They dry out like it's the sahara although I only get indirect sun. I do have a huge open view of the horizon though. I'm thinking I need some wind tolerant plants. I am thinking cactus and ornamental grass. Is there any flowers that will tolerate a windy patio? I did make a small screened off area with a bamboo shade. I am thinking of making a zen garden area since I can't have blooms.

Any ideas? Thanks
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Cloud

I'd be interested in hearing ideas as well. I've got a REALLY windy patio--so windy that any furniture is blown about twice a year (spring and fall); and my storage closet door has blown all the way off twice.

The only thing I can think of for you is large, heavy pots with plants. If you are concerned about environmental, be careful about grasses. I think it's bad if you introduce non-native species of them. (heard that somewhere--I'm NOT a gardener).
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

You could try fragrant, hardy stuff like lavender - there are different varieties and it's drought and wind tolerant. Wildflowers might grow in big pots, although they grow fairly tall, but they're drought and wind tolerant (you can get mixes for a variety of environments, including annual mixes). The seed is available online. The bamboo screen is a great idea to create a microenvironment. You may have good success with flowers in the sheltered area.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Lots of herbs will cope with windy conditions and they'll also survive well even if you're a bit slack about watering. Chilli bushes are really good too, and aside from being good for cooking, they're also very attractive in general. Also, very hardy.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Make sure the soil is covered as well. Mulch or cloth over it will help retain water.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

I'm an orchid freak - so I would suggest a few of them. They are essentially air plants to a large degree, so I would recommend orchids for flowering plants. They need misting every couple of days, generally, indirect sunlight, and are pretty easy to care for. Dendrobium and phaelenopsis (sp?) are easiest to grow, I've found. But they can't take the cold, so you would have to move them indoors if you're in an area that freezes.

Purchase them from a reputable nursery. Plants from the box stores tend to be unhealthy.

I agree with Griff - my second floor patio gets indirect sun, quite a bit of wind, and the mulch helps tremendously keeping the soil and moisture in the pot. And my orchids are doing wonderfully up there.

Last edited by smurfalicious; 09-12-2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: forgot something
smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
skysidhe

wow cloud....that's really windy. ummm for you how about a silk fig tree or palm. :P I mean if your storage box is blown off wow..that's incredible.

Orth and Ali. I have some sage out there but the ground drys out so quickly to allow it to flourish. I think chili bushes are nice too. Great suggestion!

Griff I DO need to add a mulch or moss to help retain moisture in the soil. I still thinking some cacti too.

smurf...an orchid? humm interesting. Something I will consider. I do think they are beautiful and would go well in a zen spot.

First I need to find a home for my jasmine and my rose.
The rock roses and other annuals have just about run their course so I am ready to try something else.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

(edit) * wait a minute* I thought Orchids were fragile hot house flowers?

Last edited by skysidhe; 09-12-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'd think that an orchid would be blown bare if the wind looked at it funny.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I'd think that an orchid would be blown bare if the wind looked at it funny.
It was my thought too. The wind looks funny alot here. Updrafts from every angle. It wasn't bad in the spring but combined with the hot weather it's been brutal for blooms.

Here are my prospects: poppy,viola,hosta,lily of the valley,( questionable) a particular fern of sorts,( maybe) begonia,ornamental grass and cacti.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Snapdragons are pretty hardy for wind/drought -- some are even perennialish (depends on how south of freezing you get)
Old 09-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Hanging pots with annual colour are great.

For patios, you want to invest in some nice pots, so that they are part of the feature and get some nice tall ones.

Ornamental grasses are great for patios, because they have colour year round with their foliage and you can get some stunning tall featuresElfin Flax I have some of this and its soooo hardy.

Succulents are also very good, hardy and you can get so many different types. You can get some great feature plants....especially String of pearls.

Of course, cacti!!!! They are fantastic.

I like quirky handmade things stuck in pots with the plants too.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 AM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

sky, you could try putting some moisture retaining crystals in the soil if it dries out quickly.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
sky, you could try putting some moisture retaining crystals in the soil if it dries out quickly.

Thanks. I kept meaning to post and tell you that this is a helpful bit of advice because the soil is exactly where the problem is! It's SO dry even a day after watering. I am sure those crystals will help.

I'll have to keep an eye out for them.