richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

No Confidence

From here

Quote:
A Jolly Good Show, but the Wrong Side of the Pond

By Dana Milbank
Tuesday, June 12, 2007; Page A02

Give him a sword and a tunic, and Chuck Schumer would have made a passable Oliver Cromwell as he stood on the Senate floor yesterday.
The New York Democrat, playing a British parliamentarian, had come to seek a "vote of no confidence" in Attorney General Alberto Gonzales -- and thereby deal a blow to the imperial reign of President Bush the Second.
Quote:
"This is not the British Parliament, and I hope it never will become the British Parliament," protested Sen. Trent Lott (Miss.), the chamber's No. 2 Republican. "Are we going to bring the president in here and have a question period like the prime minister has in Great Britain?"
Sounds like a good idea to me.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I heard George use the phrase "my government" recently so I guess Schumer isn't the only one confused about their system of government.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I was really hoping for "YOU ARE..........OBSOLETE!"

*chanting in background"

"OBSOLETE! OBSOLETE! OBSOLETE!"
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I heard George use the phrase "my government" recently so I guess Schumer isn't the only one confused about their system of government.
If I can say my government, why can't Bush. Isn't he still an American, a voting American?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

The phrase is generally used in a parlimentary system where the PM puts together a voting block to get his program through. In the States, the Pres gets to fill a bunch of seats in the executive branch but, rumor has it, does not control the legislative function. Either George feels he owns the whole government or he's been hanging with Blair too much.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Cromwell dissolved the "Rump" Parliament in order to become Lord Protector - effectively setting himself up for 5 years the only dictator Britain has ever known. He wasn't challenging a tyrant (Charles I was executed in 1649) he was overthrowing the Republic.

Not sure that the comparison really works...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
The phrase is generally used in a parlimentary system where the PM puts together a voting block to get his program through. In the States, the Pres gets to fill a bunch of seats in the executive branch but, rumor has it, does not control the legislative function. Either George feels he owns the whole government or he's been hanging with Blair too much.
C'mon, you've never said my government? I'll bet everyone I know has, at one time or another... often as, I fear my government.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

In context George was talking about his administration. He's just parroting Tony. His government is the same as my government, but his administration is not my administration.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, I don't know what the rest of ya think, but my government just sucks balls right now. The local one is alright, but the state and the feds...pbbbt!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote