The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
breakingnews
Q_Q

even the biggest and best screw up

For lack of better things to do this afternoon ('twas an extremely slow day in the corporate world, and all has but come to a halt on the AP's business desk here in NYC), I'll pass along some of these gems. They come from a more-than-occasional collection of funny stuff and terrible fuck-ups produced by AP staff worldwide. The final 2004 wrap-up was sent today. Some highlights:

Headlines -

Singapore police ban plans for Christmas party, saying it would be a gay event

Colleges are not sure how to stop binge drinking

Dollar rallies after falling to eight-month low against euro, before rallying

Gay marriage not good for children, opponents tell Calif. court

Russian election chief criticizes bill that would make it harder to register patties

DESTINY'S CHILD: GROUP GETS TOGETHER FOR A QUICKIE

Writethrus (story updates) -

Eds: LEADS with 3 grafs to CORRECT that Biscuit and Gravy were running mates, sted opponents

Eds: AMs. SUBS graf 18, One-third of, to CORRECT 'born-again' sted 'born-against'

They said it -

"There's been a very big smelly monkey on our back for four years," said U.S. Sen. Bob Graham, D-Fla. "I am tired of Florida being the laughingstock of America."

"Maybe I am a convicted felon but I am not a criminal," said Smitty, who has a criminal record involving illegal drugs.

YORK, Pa. (AP) _ A 15-year-old sophomore at Christian School of York has won the title of Miss Teen of America 2004-2005.
In addition to carrying the title for two years, Jayde Paup won a $5,000 scholarship and $2,500 in cash.
"I also won a trip to Australia, where I will be the guest at the Miss Wagga-Wagga competition," she said.

Funny names -

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) _ A man who once weighed more than half a ton has lost 321 pounds under the care of a team of doctors and hopes to lose 450 pounds more. Patrick Deuel, 42, of Valentine, Neb., weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to Sioux Falls' Avera McKennan Hospital eight weeks ago. ...
A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Ruth Manning, a veteran character actress who gained recognition playing Aunt Harriet in Kraft Real Mayonnaise TV ads in the 1980s, has died. She was believed to be 84.
Manning died Nov. 19 of heart failure while auditioning for a television role, said her agent, Greg Mayo.

NEWARK, Ohio (AP) _ A former executive director of the Licking County Big Brothers and Big Sisters has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a young boy.

And the plain ole ridiculous shit -

It would have been lovely had Charles lived to bask in the adoration of fans at the premiere of "Ray." Charles was able to view a cut of the film shortly before he died ...

CINCINNATI (AP) _ The projectiles are lighter than horseshoes and safer than lawn darts, but the idea's the same: Players try to hit a target several paces away.
The game is called cornhole, or corn toss, because players try to throw cloth bags filled with corn into a hole. It is an Ohio phenomenon that is catching on elsewhere around the Midwest and beyond.
"It's easy to play, you don't have to dig a pit, drive stakes or tear up your lawn," said Mike Whitton, founder and president of the American Cornhole Association.

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) _ Two women whose testimony in a child molestation case put a man behind bars for 20 years have recanted, with one saying her grandmother pressured them to finger the wrong man to protect a cousin.

BUFFALO, Wyo. (AP) _ Whenever Fern and Dale Johnson visited family here, they couldn't help feeling a bit envious. People were so friendly, and the pace of life in the rural community was much slower _ and more to their liking _ than back home in Nebraska.

BC-Martha Stewart-CEO,0666 (the numbers following a story slug is the total word count of the text)

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) _ Organizers of a gelatin wrestling event at a bar say some proceeds will be donated to a foundation created in memory of a Colorado State University sophomore who died of alcohol poisoning.

MOSCOW (AP) _ Gazpromneftegaz chief confirms his company will bid in Yuganskneftegaz auction.

PHOTOS OF NOTE:
_ JAPAN HOT SPA MONKEYS
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
"Maybe I am a convicted felon but I am not a criminal," said Smitty, who has a criminal record involving illegal drugs.
Well, (barring a pardon) once a convict always a convict, but you can stop being a criminal. Whether Smitty stopped or not is unknown, but it's possible.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Well, (barring a pardon) once a convict always a convict, but you can stop being a criminal. Whether Smitty stopped or not is unknown, but it's possible.
I beg to differ, once your time is served you become an ex-convict.
Anyway, I think he was commenting on the drug laws making felons of people who are not criminals in the traditional sense.
Quote:
"I also won a trip to Australia, where I will be the guest at the Miss Wagga-Wagga competition,"
Decisions, decisions....Google it....or let my imagination entertain me for a while.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
It would have been lovely had Charles lived to bask in the adoration of fans at the premiere of "Ray." Charles was able to view a cut of the film shortly before he died ...

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
CINCINNATI (AP) _ The projectiles are lighter than horseshoes and safer than lawn darts, but the idea's the same: Players try to hit a target several paces away.
The game is called cornhole, or corn toss, because players try to throw cloth bags filled with corn into a hole. It is an Ohio phenomenon that is catching on elsewhere around the Midwest and beyond.
"It's easy to play, you don't have to dig a pit, drive stakes or tear up your lawn," said Mike Whitton, founder and president of the American Cornhole Association.
Hell yeah cornhole!!! This game is all the rage on Ohio campuses, even rivalling the famed Beer Pong here at OU. The game may seem rediculous, but it is soooo addictive once you get started.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yes, but Beer Pong involves Beer, making it a superior passtime.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:38 AM   #7
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
I saw this web site and couldn't resist ordering this hat. Gotta love the looks I get when people read it. :p
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Pshh, they would only be giving looks of jealousy 'round here. And wolf, Athens being the rediculous drinking town with a football problem that it is, we have managed to turn cornhole into a drinking game. Yes the future of our nation is bright...
Old 01-08-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Corn liquor?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Corn liquor?
Actually, corn liquor is a popular drink in China. We drank this one brand, Yi Li Te, all the way through our trip in the western region. It's okay going down; hangover was mild, but it gave me the worst liquor shits the next day. Sucks that there aren't many toilets (only trenches) out there.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is that why the Buddhist monks wear robes?