The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Camping advice

Last weekend I did some hiking and camping (sorry, no pics, I find taking photos gets in the way of having experiences). It being winter down here, nights got pretty cold. I am not sure I managed the tent as well as I could have. I think quite a few folks here have cold weather camping experience, so I thought I'd raise the question.

The conditions were down to 2 to 4 degrees centigrade, but dry, with mild wind. I was snugged up inside warm clothing and a sleeping bag inside a tent. The tent is a two-piece; a waterproof base with a cotton wall/roof structure, and a waterproof fly over the top. The fly has covered vents for ventilation, but I kept these closed with the idea of keeping the warm air in. It seemed to work at least until the wee small hours.

In the morning, the cotton innerwall was dripping wet. It could only have been condensation from my breath. And when a breeze blew, the water would evaporate and this would chill the air further.

So I am wondering, would I have been better off to allow some ventilation to clear my humid breath, and tolerate the constant draft? Or is it better to eliminate drafts as much as possible?

Any of you highly trained military commando / mountain hiker / Scottish Highlander types got any advice?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If you can keep an air space between the waterproof fly and the cotton wall, water vapor may pass through the cotton, allowing it to remain dry, to condense on the inside of the fly. If the two layers can't be kept separated; or, the cotton wall has been sealed for water repellency, ventilation will be necessary to keep condensation from accumulating inside.

As a rule of thumb, rely on properly rated sleeping bag and clothing layering systems for comfortable warmth while using the tent just for protection against the elements.

A semi-permeable (e.g. Gore-Tex) sleeping bag cover will help keep you and your sleeping bag dry, while increasing warmth, even in a wet tent and is something you might want to consider if you're often out in temperatures where condensation is a problem.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

I would ventilate and increase sleeping bag warmth. We/beest just use several regular sleeping bags when camping in frosty temps, but we have car space to carry them all. If you're hiking, you'll need to invest.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I would suggest a nice hotel. If you feel the need to rough it, choose one without room service, or at least without 24 hour room service.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Thanks guys.

The cotton liner does touch the fly - the tent is not perfectly designed.

I was in LOTS of layers inside the sleeping bag, but the bag is fairly lightweight, and is water resistant but not waterproof. I recall when I was doing the shopping wondering why a lot of the bags had goretex outers, when you'd be using them inside a tent. Live and learn.

I think I'll want a better bag before I go winter camping again. Or I might take Wolf's option.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Something you may like that one doesn't usually see at their local retailers are ready made sleeping bag systems. They consist of a lightweight bag, medium weigh bag sized to fit over it, and a Gore-Tex bivy (bivouac) cover/bag sized to fit over both. They can be used in various combinations for warm-dry, warm-wet, cold-dry, and cold wet weather. You only have to carry what you need even if it's just the bivy cover to stay dry.

In the USA, we can buy the actual US G.I. side zip sleep system issued to our conventional troops on the commercial market.

Due to my background in Spec. Ops., I'm partial to center zip (opposed to a side zipper) bags with quick releases. If I don't engage a securing tab, simply pushing my arms out against the insides of the bags forces the zippers to slide open nearly instantaneously enabling me to present a weapon; or, get out quickly even when I'm not completely awake. I own a SNUGPAK system to which I added a Brit. G.I. Gore-Tex bivy cover.

If you don't anticipate being in a hurry to get out of your sleeping bag, a side zip system is just fine and has the advantage of not needing a baffle along the zipper to prevent heat loss as body heat rises to the inside top of the bag.

Sleeping bag systems like these make everything else just a matter of how much you're willing to carry for additional comfort. If you're inclined to go with wolf's option, I recommend a Black Ops. Survival Kit.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote