The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

What TV shows do you Tivo?

Is "Tivo" a universal verb, like "Google" now? And if so, do you capitalize it? I capitalize Google, but when I say Google, I mean Google. When I say Tivo, I mean Direct TV. Oh, btw, yeah I sold out and got a TV signal. Please disregard all my previous anti-TV rants. Netflix was too much work (ha), and we also got sick of our baby DVDs. Direct TV has a "Baby First" channel that is commercial free and has educational-type stuff running.

Anyway... My favorite stuff I record is Classic Albums, Family Guy, Futurama (before they stopped running on Cartoon Network), Star Trek: Next Generation (before they stopped running on G4), Mythbusters, and Antiques Roadshow. More "Adult Swim" shows like Xavier: Renegade Angel, Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job, Metalocalypse. Oh, also the Sarah Silverman show. Other stuff like educational documentaries and History Channel/Discovery type stuff. My wife also records Charmed and Friday the 13th: the Series.

A disproportionate amount of the stuff we record is old network TV reruns. There's too many channels, and I get overwhelmed looking for things to watch, so I just stick to what I know. We got the movie channels for free for three months, but they suck. Useless.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Do you need cable for Tivo?

I really must see this Sarah Silverman show; my older brother told me this weekend she reminds him of me.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

Absolutely. You're a total Sarah Silverman.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Anyway... My favorite stuff I record is .... Star Trek: Next Generation
I'd noticed when you started a couple TNG threads. I thought it was unusual, because it's a fairly old show, and I don't remember the episodes that well. I had to Google the "Darmok and Jilad at Tanagra" thread you started. I knew I had heard that quote before, but couldn't place it.

Now it makes sense why you are posting TNG stuff 15 years later.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
glatt

Is there some sort of Tivo like device that doesn't require a service and monthly fee? When the signal switches over in a year, my VCR will make a nice paperweight. Gotta start planning ahead.

We tape some shows that are on too late or that conflict with others we watch.
My wife is a Grey's Anatomy fan, so we tape either that or the Office and watch the other later. The kids tape Fetch with Ruff Ruffman, a good educational science show on PBS, and watch it when their homework is done.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
lookout123
changed his status to single

I have Cox *snicker*. With that I have their DVR, same damn thing as TiVo if I understand correctly. Their are only 2 things I record on a regular basis - Life (if the writers ever come back) and Arsenal FC games (when Fox soccer doesn't have a hard on for Chelsea games and can be bothered to show something else).

I like the DVR more for what it does when we are watching tv. With the kids it is pretty hard to sit down and actually watch a whole show without being interrupted. It is great that I can pause the show or rewind back to something I missed. I loves me DVR.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Would someone with Tivo please watch the end of Two and a Half Men and tell me what that quick little sheet of writing that flashes when the show ends says? It drives me crazy, and every time I watch (at least the syndicated ones, don't know about original eps) I think "damn, I could pause this with a DVR"
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

i used to feel the same way when Dharma and Greg first hit the airwaves years ago. The page at the end was usually just some random ramblings, different every week. Pretty funny really.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We TiVo literally everything we watch. (Which is to say, we record it--I'm also one of those people who uses the verb TiVo when I don't have a TiVo branded system.) Between us and the kids it's dozens of shows; I couldn't name them all.

Glatt, you would be interested in the system we have, if you're at all inclined to learn a little Linux. It's a homemade box that runs freeware called MythTV. Me, I don't know jack squat about it, but there are apparently really good help forums out there, that's what Mr. Clod has used every time there was something outside of his Linux knowledge. Gotta love the friendliness of open-source communities. Aside from the initial cost of the basic computer you build--$300 total maybe?--there is a service fee to download the TV schedules so it knows when things are on, but it's only like $15 a year.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
--there is a service fee to download the TV schedules so it knows when things are on, but it's only like $15 a year.
I'd like to have something like that. The Search function on Direct TV is a suck, and can't find stuff that I know is there.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Clodfobble

My biggest problem with it is it updates its schedule about every two weeks--and the end result is you can't choose a show to record unless it's on in the next two weeks. Now, if you already have it in the list, it'll just hold onto the title until next season without a problem, but if there's a new show starting soon, you have to remember to add it no more than two weeks beforehand. Yes, I sometimes have a problem remembering to do something for two whole weeks. Shut up. Case in point: there's a show the kids want to watch that's starting sometime in "spring of '08," so I'll have to just keep checking back to see if the title has shown up yet. I just know I'm going to miss it.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
I just know I'm going to miss it.
Well, with an attitude like that... . . .

Old 02-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
Clodfobble

The upside is Disney reruns their crap constantly for months on end, so I know I'll get it eventually.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

we have had Direct Tv and Tivo for YEARS , It would be HARD to live with out it any more ,SAD but TRUE !!

at Xmas we upgraded to HD with the DVR Plus , AWESOME picture for the HD channels , Great picture for the Non HD channels ,

As to what we record , well my wife has a soap that tapes Every week day ( how the HELL do you think I talked her into a DVR in the FIRST place !!) , and I am BAD about finding some thing Obscure that will tape at 4:30 am on some weird channel , then 2 weeks later be looking thru the ToDo list and wounder WHO the HELL set THAT up to tape ??!!

Oh Flint if you have TiVo Brand box it will STOP working with DirectTv in a few months , or so I hear .
Old 02-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

With two jobs and three children, I don't ever get to watch my shows when they're scheduled. The ones I have set to record are - Without a Trace, The Closer, Saving Grace, and Lost.

I record movies for the younger kids and they play them over and over...101 Dalmations, Nightmare Before Christmas, Cars, High School Musical, Shrek, Stuart Little...are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

And no, it's not Tivo, but a part of our cable service/box.