The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 09-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

The Special One Sacked!

Chelsea FC has sacked their coach Jose Mourinho. Yippeee! Now if they would just sack that overrated twit of a captain they could start to build a team that actually plays attractive football.

You may now return to your regular habit of ignoring the beautiful game.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Why don't you like Jose?

I don't know much about Chelsea, but I thought he'd done a decent job with the team up til this season's opening. Wasn't it just a personality clash between him and the owner?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Psh, soccer.

Oh no he didn't!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
lookout123

Jose came into a pretty easy situation. His directive was to win trophies, specifically the champion's league. Then he was handed a checkbook. when he opened it he found that all the checks were signed and all he had to do was fill out the amounts.

He assembled the most expensive footballing side imaginable. He bought players that he knew weren't even going to make it into regular play just so the competition wouldn't have them.

He then coached them into the most ridiculously boring football side ever. Attack? No, we only attack the ref's if they don't rule our way. They close up shop and play straight down the middle. Players that IMO have been classy in the past have become bullies to the ref's and dirty hacks to their opponents (john terry being a prime example).

When they won he came out and announced it was due to his superior intellect and dubbed himself "The special one". When they lost it was because the ref's robbed them. When they lost he inevitably stated that his side "deserved the win, but were unlucky in the officiating."

I'm glad he's gone, my only fear is that Tottenham might bring him in.

Oh, didn't I mention I am an Arsenal supporter?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

You, lookout, are a spaz.

Jose taught Chelsea how to win, even if it isn't using the most 'exciting' ball. It is not as if Chelsea goes all-Catenaccio all game long. And Chelsea did win 2 trophies this year after winning back-to-back Premiereships in 2006. Further, even if his team isn't 'exciting', Jose was easily the most entertaining coach in English football, if not in all of the associations. In contrast, Arsenal, while admittedly having a more entertaining style of play, the coach is a poor imitation of Tom Landry.

BTW, The Russian mafia owner is pulling an old Steinbrenner act here. But even George is not pulling off this nonsense anymore.

Last edited by deadbeater; 09-22-2007 at 06:46 PM.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
lookout123

there's a chelsea fan for you.

I didn't say that Jose deserved to be sacked. He was incredibly effective at grabbing trophies. I simply didn't enjoy watching the product. Apparently neither did the fans - can't fill a stadium for a Champion's League draw? ouch. Roman A is going to regret it I believe, but I won't miss him. I'd love to see Roman grab someone from the italian or spanish league so they could bring some flair to the Bridge.

and Arsene Wenger is doing an imitation of Tom Landry? How so? And how is that bad? I'm not even a cowboys fan and I have to say that Landry was a total class act. Personally I like having a gaffer that doesn't feel the need to draw the spotlight to himself.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
lookout123

oh mr deadbeater? could you explain to me why chelsea couldn't fill their stadium for a champion's league game? or why arsenal managed to sell out the Emirates Stadium for a carling cup match. with none of our first eleven in the squad?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Some fans are fans there because of one player. Some are Frank Lampard fans and some are John Terry fans. Lampard getting injured, as much as anything, does put a damper on fan attandance.

Also, Emirates Stadium is a newer Stadium. Newer stadia became cool places to hang out in, regardless of team quality.

Last edited by deadbeater; 09-30-2007 at 04:31 PM.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
lookout123

so i guess highbury had a bunch of empty seats? being old and all...

but see you are making my point. Chelsea FC were a respectable top 4 club before Jose and R.A. came along. The club had real, honest to goodness supporters. R.A. came in with his billions and Peter Kenyon and decided to turn that club into a brand. They hired a fantastic manager and filled the side with the highest quality, sparing no expense. They instantly began winning and brought in all kinds of new fans. But they weren't building the club up, only the brand. That was evident in the fact that attendance was always poor for one of the top two clubs in the premiership. The fans began to drift away because of the extremely boring play. They still wear blue but don't ask them to sit through the game - it is too damn boring and predictable.

On the other hand Arsenal hasn't one anything in three years have the youngest side in the premiership (all assembled at very little cost because they buy unknowns and turn them into stars) and were completely written off as not having a hope before either of the last two seasons. And they still sold out every game. They fill the Grove even for Carling Cup games without any of the names in the squad. Why? because they are a club with history. They are a club that is exciting to watch even if they don't win. they attack. they pass. they have incredible build up. and this season they are finally hitting the back of the net again.

Anyway, I hope R.A. gets tired of his experiment soon and Chelsea manage to find themselves in the hands of supporters again. and I hope Kenyon gets tossed out of top tier football never to return. and i'd like to see Jose take his country's national team position. more than that, i'd like to see more attractive football spread.

Last edited by lookout123; 10-01-2007 at 01:01 AM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
King
Conquistador

Speaking objectively, it's a bad thing that Mourinho's been sacked; he brought quality to the Premiership, and was an entertaining character. Speaking subjectively, as a Manchester United fan, I'm very glad that he's gone. The team spirit and mental toughness that he brought to Chelsea was unbelievable. His sucessor Avram Grant is inexperienced at any decent level, and he might well just be a puppet for Abramovich anyway. I don't think Chelsea are finished as a top four side or anything like that, but I don't think Grant will be good enough to achieve their aims.