The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Spreading ourselves even thinner -- Iran is next?

In my interviews, I was repeatedly told that the next strategic target was Iran. “Everyone is saying, ‘You can’t be serious about targeting Iran. Look at Iraq,’” the former intelligence official told me. “But they say, ‘We’ve got some lessons learned—not militarily, but how we did it politically. We’re not going to rely on agency pissants.’ No loose ends, and that’s why the C.I.A. is out of there.”

For anyone who caught the interview on The Daily Show some nights ago, here is the New Yorker article summarizing some rather interesting "interviews" done with people in the Pentagon.

"The only solution is to bomb."

Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Shock the monkey!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

shock, spank...what's the difference?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Shock the monkey!
I've been trying to get "Janie's got a gun" out of my head all morning. It's gone, but at what cost?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
shock, spank...what's the difference?
I prefer a spanking.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I prefer a spanking.
I sense a fetish thread blossoming.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
Kitsune
still eats dirt

You guys are beyond retarded.
...and thats why I love you all so.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

A friend of mine and I have been tring to get a betting pool going on which country is next in our little 'holy war'... My money is on Syria, given the sabre rattling that's been going on, and a few things about Iran. it seems to me that it's more than likely a distraction technique, they really might have the bomb (and they've had a little while to get whatever chemical/bio weapons they might need ready, as well as bolster the armed forces of the country), and if we think the 'insurgency' in Iraq is bad... take another large middle-eastern counrty would really really piss off everyone else in the neighborhood. also IMHO Iran really wouldn't mind bombing the living fuck out of Iraq aka. our primary staging ground.

in comparison Syria is small and would be 'easy pickins' (although once again the 'insurgency' from the resulting attack would be staggering.

and North Korea is right out. (for now anyway)
Old 01-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I'll see you and raise you twenty on Iran, Cowhead.

As if on que, what appears in the news today? Nuclear No-Return
Old 02-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
djacq75
Rational Anarchist

The gangsters in power will certainly look for an excuse to attack Iran if they aren't prevented from doing so by a genuine public outcry.
djacq75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacq75
The gangsters in power will certainly look for an excuse to attack Iran if they aren't prevented from doing so by a genuine public outcry.
Genuine is the key word here. I don't think we can build it without some two-faced pol high-jacking it.

What do the odds look like on Somalia? You know gambling might be the answer to all our problems... I'd like to lay 20 bills on SoshSecurity not being available to me at retirement.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Genuine is the key word here. I don't think we can build it without some two-faced pol high-jacking it.

What do the odds look like on Somalia? You know gambling might be the answer to all our problems... I'd like to lay 20 bills on SoshSecurity not being available to me at retirement.
I won't take that wager, kid, because:

a) You get to pay for your folk's and my retirement plus every costly little invasion to "liberate" the people of an oil producing country. By time you hit 80 (the age it will then be required to reach to collect social security), there ain't gonna be nothing left in ANYONE'S pocketbook.
b) I'll be dead and I don't wanna mess around trying to collect on gambling debts from a previous life time.

Does Somalia have oil reserves? If so, I'll place one of my chips on it while the pol's spin the international roulette wheel greased with petroleum. No oil, and I'll fold.

We are going to leave N. Korea to the tender mercies of the Chinese unless Wal-Mart demands a US intervention, in which case US troops lacking proper equipment and supplies will be landing in N. Korea shortly.

At this point, there is no way we can invade Iran without a draft. Our military is already falling short of man power, as it is. Wounded soldiers are being billed for their damaged body armor; communities are holding bake sales to raise the money to send their young people serving in Iraq things like razors, frito's and underwear.

If we waltz into Iran at any time in the near future, we are either going to be humiliated militarily or else every single one of you guys under age 30 is going to be reporting in to his local selective service board.

If the latter happens, this will bring the fact of our leaders' stupidity home to enough Americans that a genuine outcry will be raised at long last.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Cowhead said: A friend of mine and I have been tring to get a betting pool going on which country is next in our little 'holy war'...
Gee...and I thought I was the only one who referred to the situation in Iraq et al as a holy war on the part of western society.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Marichiko, do you really think that there will be anything left to outcry about if the US decides to invade Iran?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Marichiko, do you really think that there will be anything left to outcry about if the US decides to invade Iran?
I'm a pragmatist, Aliantha. People will raise an outcry for themselves or their own sons and daughters long before they will ever raise an outcry over the sons and daughters of a people 10,000 miles away who have a strange religion and speak in a foreign tongue.

Its very easy to be complacent if you are not the one being called upon to make the sacrifice.