The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 01-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Aikido

I am interested in learning more about Aikido.

I have zero previous martial arts training. I have an open mind. I am seeking personal growth and improved physical agility and strength. I would like something that can include SonofV. He would have about the same preconditions, plus increased self confidence and self defense.

I am interested in hearing the opinions of my friends here in the cellar.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Best way to learn what Aikido is about is to visit a dojo and watch. Then come for a few practice lessons.

Aikido has had a profound effect on my life. While I am currently "off the mat", I hope to return to practice someday. Even if I don't, I've been enriched by the training and the philosophy.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Don't worry about which style you think you might be interested in. Yet.

Go visit some schools convenient to your home or work. If the school is not close, eventually, it will take its toll. Talk to the Master. How experienced is he/she? Is this someone you can respect under extreme duress - someone you can trust to mold you into a martial artist?

Is the style practiced at the school appropriate for your body? Some styles are acrobatic while others are more "straight ahead." Even if a style has a reputation as being one or the other, the school might not teach it in the conventional way so there is no substitute for observation.

Lastly and -most- importantly, attend a black-belt exam. This is what you will be spending the next 3-5 years trying to learn so make sure its something that you really want to learn and that nothing about the exam that is a deal-breaker for you.

Another thing is to see if you fit in with the students. That's a tougher call but these are the people you will be working out with and its important that you are comfortable with them and they with you.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I am interested in learning more about Aikido.

I am seeking personal growth and improved physical agility and strength. I would like something that can include SonofV. He would have about the same preconditions, plus increased self confidence and self defense.
Any of the martial arts will give you these things. One of the most important things to do will be to visit your local martial arts schools and see which are family/kid friendly, are well organized, and have what you and your son are looking for. Some schools are heavily into competitions; some are not. Some will promote students through the belts or ranks based on time put in more than on mastery of material; others will hold students at a rank until they completely master the level. Some are very intense in their attitude and instruction, and some focus more on social interaction and camaraderie. A school should be a good 'fit' for your situation, personality, and goals. And of course it should be on firm footing as a business, and preferably not require that you sign a long-term contract before your first lesson. (Many schools offer a 'free lesson', but that isn't enough to tell you much.)

I took tae kwon do, as did my kids. One of my sons and my daughter also took wu shu, a Chinese martial art. It was far more intense and demanding than the tae kwon do school we attended, but my kids got a lot out of it. Very time-consuming and painful, but that school turned out amazing athletes. Plus they had fun doing Lion/Dragon Dance performances at the CNE and at Chinese New Year.

It probably doesn't matter much which martial art you start with; people who like it often take classes in more than one style, once they've gotten to a certain level. Check your local yellow pages for schools and check them out. Chances are you'll see something you like.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Lastly and -most- importantly, attend a black-belt exam. This is what you will be spending the next 3-5 years trying to learn so make sure its something that you really want to learn and that nothing about the exam that is a deal-breaker for you.
Interesting comment. My own thought is that as a noob you can't understand what someone's black belt test--or any rank test, really--is really about just by watching it. (I would also imagine it takes longer than 3-5 years to reach ni-dan.)

Are you Aikidoka, beestie?

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you all for your considered responses.

I have already done some of the things you have suggested. For example, I have begun searching with logistical convenience in mind. The dojo I have visited is fairly close to home. I'm not sufficiently well informed to qualify for an opinion as to which style is "best". I will say that what little I have about Aikido is uniformly favorable. I find these descriptive sentences very compatible with my world view:
Quote:
"Aikido is a peaceful, non-competitive, Japanese martial art that uses graceful movements to neutralize an attack. Aikido training improves your physical ability, stamina, sensitivity, and centeredness."
The dojo I am considering does offer a free lesson, and I like (very much) the suggestion to sit in and watch a few classes. That would be very informative.

I especially appreciate the point that rapport with the Master is crucial. I have had one nice conversation with the owner/teacher/sensei where I'm looking. Of course, that is too little to know much for sure, but it was also entirely favorable. Plus, he comes well recommended. I have one personal recommendation, plus my research on his name and his dojo has revealed only positive evidence.

Rapport with the class will be tougher, but not impossible. In fact, one of the main areas of personal growth I alluded to earlier, handling conflict, doesn't require perfect rapport to provide room for growth. Plus, I'm a get-along guy. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe *I'll* bring the conflict.

This dojo does offer children's classes, and the Master (is that the proper form of address? I must ask.) has even allowed that SonofV may fit into an adult class with me. I would love that, as a father. As a co-student, I don't know how that dynamic would work. Size, and maturity and ability to focus, were his primary concerns, but not age. Also favorable.

Competitions, and rank advancement are very low on my list of priorities. That may change someday. But today it's a good match.

I couldn't begin to evaluate the compatibility of the style practiced and my body. I'm definitely more of a straight ahead type, and not an acrobat. But increased agility and flexibility are things I hope to gain through this training. I hope that's not an unreasonable expectation.

Finally, my choice to post in Philosophy instead of Sports or Entertainment, indicates my inclination to view this endeavor as a physical meditation, more than just exercise or a workout. So far, that seems to be a good match too.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL View Post
Interesting comment. My own thought is that as a noob you can't understand what someone's black belt test--or any rank test, really--is really about just by watching it. (I would also imagine it takes longer than 3-5 years to reach ni-dan.)

Are you Aikidoka, beestie?
2 years of KF (Northern, hard style), 1 year of Wu Shu and 3 years of TKD. Four months ago, I was 2 months away from my TKD black belt exam when the school shut down over a problem with the lease. The school had been operating under the same Master since the 80s so it took everyone by surprise. I've been agonizing over whether or not to get back into it. Its not easy to change to another school after something like that. 3 years of training up in smoke.

I'd like to go back to my first KF school - the Sifu there is a Grandmaster from old-world China and is regularly featured in KF magazine. But the school is 30 miles away so that won't work (I used to live close by). He was my best teacher.

I could go back to the WuShu school - most of the instructors are visiting instructors from the Beijing WuShu Institute (where Jet Li learned the craft) but its a very acrobatic style and it doesn't suit me very well.

So, basically, I'm in the same boat as BigV - looking for a school.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
This dojo does offer children's classes, and the Master (is that the proper form of address? I must ask.) has even allowed that SonofV may fit into an adult class with me. I would love that, as a father. As a co-student, I don't know how that dynamic would work. Size, and maturity and ability to focus, were his primary concerns, but not age. Also favorable.
I think it would be great for son of v to see his dad model how a person is a beginner for a change instead of the guy who knows everything. Not meaning that you are a know it all, but that in his eyes since he was born you've been god or at least demigod. He's had to learn how to be a student all on his own, now you can show him how dad is a student. Plus you can commiserate, see below

Quote:
Competitions, and rank advancement are very low on my list of priorities. That may change someday. But today it's a good match.
You'll be relieved then to know that in aikido, advancement comes glacially slowly. At least in USAF dojos. You are tested after you accrue so many hours of practice. You can accrue one hour per day regardless of how many hours you actually are at the dojo. After you test, your slate is wiped clean of hours and you begin again. Each succesive rank requires an ever growing number of hours. You'd pretty much have to live at the dojo to earn a black belt inside of five years.

Quote:
I couldn't begin to evaluate the compatibility of the style practiced and my body. I'm definitely more of a straight ahead type, and not an acrobat. But increased agility and flexibility are things I hope to gain through this training. I hope that's not an unreasonable expectation.
bwaaaaahaaaa haaaa haaa. You'll start out as a square wheel and have the corners bruised off of you pretty quickly. That's just learning the basic roll. Then we move onto wrist locks and (should I tell him about breakfalls? nahh, better not. nothing. Hey! how about them Mariners?)
Yet another father son bonding moment, trading ice packs and tiger balm...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's all about the stoke.

I'm stoked!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

uke, ukemi, breakfall, I have seen these already :O even in context with "clotheslined". That one I know. I spent some time here today. Trying to learn about the teacher, his dojo, and to absorb what I could, including the vocabulary.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Question, while we're on the subject of martial arts. A friend, who was into Judo, told me Judo is the only Martial Art that can only be used defensively. All others can be used both offensively and defensively, to some extent. true?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I thought I'd been told that Aikido was only defensive, but maybe I'm remembering wrong--it's been a long time.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Question, while we're on the subject of martial arts. A friend, who was into Judo, told me Judo is the only Martial Art that can only be used defensively. All others can be used both offensively and defensively, to some extent. true?
I'd steer clear of that chestnut. Aikido makes the same claims and in theory it's true, in reality if you stand next to someone and put your arm around their shoulder, drop your hip below theirs, and start to pull down a bit on your arm at the same time as you lift their feet off the ground by standing back up (a simple judo hip throw--koshinage?) you can fuck their shit up pretty good when they land on the pavement. Just ask me about the time I was horsing around while drunk. It is true, horseplay does lead to tears.

Now as a martial art designed strictly for putting kittycumboddy on people, Judo and Aikido are not your top choices. Morning stars, maces, tactical nukes, seige engines, WD-40, are all better choices.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Now as a martial art designed strictly for putting kittycumboddy on people...
Well, okay, now you've gotten me. Even Google doesn't know what kittycumboddy means.

Last edited by Pie; 01-03-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: farked up the quote tags
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

que ir combate?

roughly: you wanna fight? but really puttin a hurt on someone