The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-16-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

car insurance question

I was a bad girl. I totalled my car. It has collision insurance.

If I don't make a claim, will my insurance rates not rise as much?
Old 01-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I think it depends on the circumstances of how it was totalled.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Pie
Gone and done

It also depends on what state you live in... Hmmm. California'll probably be pretty bad.

- Pie
Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

If you don't make a claim, your rates will not rise at all unless, of course, the Insurance company goes snooping around. What the insurance company doesn't know won't hurt you

I hate to ask but if you were not inclined to claim a total loss then why were you paying for collision coverage?

Thirdly, I hope you are ok - were you in the car when you totaled it???

edited to add the "unless...snooping around." I forgot that insurance companies have more ways than one to find out about accidents.

Last edited by Beestie; 01-16-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

<- Totaled a car. ( 92 Nissan Maxima. Went over stump, tore the front open, radioator, oilpan, cracked the front axle and shattered the engine supports. ~10k to fix a 4k car. Figured 4k wasn't worth a life time of ludicrous insurance costs.)

No claim.

No rate increase.

Got a $100 ticket from the cops for "Failing to maintain a safe speed."
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #6
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

OK, here's the story. I was supposed to meet up with some friends. No one showed up but me. I drank anyway. Mistake. I blacked out driving home and crashed into a light pole, and took it out. I don't remember a thing, not even paying the tab. Apparantly the police found me sitting next to my car waiting for them. All I have is a black eye.

Why did I take collision insurance? My agent at that time told me that it was a package deal: 2 cars 2 drivers and collision was cheaper, like staying over saturday night. I think he was bullshitting me. He was eventually fired by the insurance company.

I'll be talking with my (current) insurance agent today. My theory is that they raise your rates when you have an accident, and raise them again if you make a claim.

Well, there it is. I know... I'm a complete asshole.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Being charged with a DUI is what's going to raise your insurance rates, whether or not you enter a claim for the vehicle.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I'm wondering at this point if you shouldn't go ahead and file a claim.

My concern is that if the insurance company finds out about your DUI (and they will), they might ALSO find out about the accident (since they were connected).

If that happens, your rates will go up AS IF you filed the claim even if you don't.

BUT, get some advice from someone who knows - I'm just guessing.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

and thanks for not killing any of my family or friends while you were driving drunk. way to go.

you know, i absolutely have no tolerance for the kind of ignorant, irresponsible asshole that gets into a car chemically altered and drives. in this day and age, where being drunk and needing a rude is practically a lauded condition, what the hell would you put everyone in danger for?????????

and then pass it off as a cutesie question about car insurance. way to go...do yourself a favor. dig a big hole in the yard, throw your drivers license into it, climb in afterwards, and cover yourself up. do it to yourself before you do it to me or one of mine.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #10
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

first off, glad you were not hurt beyond your black eye. did you get charged with DUI, PI or nothing at all? i've been charged with DWI but fought it b/c i wasn't drunk and ultimately was not convicted (i'd had 3 beers over a period of 3 or so hours, heineken, very pungent smell). did you take the field tests? i did and did fine on those but b/c i refused the breathalyzer i was thrown in a podunk town jail over night.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
FileNotFound

Did they charge you with DUI?

If so. Claim. You got nothing to lose, your insurance will sky rocket anyway.

Go find a lawyer, for $3k you can get off if you were not 'way' over the limit.
You can claim that you fell asleep from exaustion and crashed, not because you were shitfaced. The result will not be nearly as severe, you'll still get smacked about but you'll have your license.
Thats how a friend of mine got off after he totaled his 7 month Jetta by skidding out of a turn and wraping it around a tree.

If not. Wait. If they don't charge you then don't make a claim. Cops tend to go easy on girls...
Old 01-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #12
FileNotFound

Oh and mandatory link:

NMA

These guys will help you get your shit sorted out. Join. Seriously.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:19 PM   #13
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally posted by darclauz
and thanks for not killing any of my family or friends while you were driving drunk. way to go.

you know, i absolutely have no tolerance for the kind of ignorant, irresponsible asshole that gets into a car chemically altered and drives. in this day and age, where being drunk and needing a rude is practically a lauded condition, what the hell would you put everyone in danger for?????????

and then pass it off as a cutesie question about car insurance. way to go...do yourself a favor. dig a big hole in the yard, throw your drivers license into it, climb in afterwards, and cover yourself up. do it to yourself before you do it to me or one of mine.
You need to remove the word ignorant. In October I put myself thru an alcohol rehab center and have been working with a therapist and psychiatrist. The described incident was a relapse after 80 days.

Now, I've increased my AA meetings to every day. I got complacent about the good progress of my recovery. I hope that I will be able to recognize relapse situations better and avoid them. In this case, I waited at the coffee shop and when no one showed up, I walked over to the bar Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. Next time, I will HALT and call a friend, even if it is late.

I'm sorry.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I have to go along with darclauz here. Your car and your insurance are incidental. What if you had hit another car or pedestrians instead of a light pole? As it was, you were lucky.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:27 PM   #15
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwennie!

You need to remove the word ignorant. In October I put myself thru an alcohol rehab center and have been working with a therapist and psychiatrist. The described incident was a relapse after 80 days.

Now, I've increased my AA meetings to every day. I got complacent about the good progress of my recovery. I hope that I will be able to recognize relapse situations better and avoid them. In this case, I waited at the coffee shop and when no one showed up, I walked over to the bar Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. Next time, I will HALT and call a friend, even if it is late.

I'm sorry.
In that case, I apologize for being rude. Relapse I understand. Endangering lives, I don't.

Good luck.