The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Unique dining experiences

Think of restaurants you've been to that stand out from the crowd. It can be a chain or a one-off, fancy or plain Jane. What made it different or special? And it can be a good or a bad thing.

Two places in particular stand out in my mind...I'll discuss one now and the other later.

The first is a place called Lambert's Cafe, with three locations: Sikeston, MO (halfway between St. Louis and Memphis); Ozark, MO (just south of Springfield); and Foley, AL (just north of Gulf Shores). I visited the original in Sikeston on several occasions while a student at Southeast MO State, and went to the Ozark location once while in Branson.

Lambert's is known as the Home of the Throwed Rolls. The rolls are softball-sized and taste delicious. If you want one, just holler, and it's thrown to you from wherever the rollholder is standing...he could be 5 feet away, 10 feet away or all the way across the dining room. When I took my family there in '95, my mom got popped in the head by one shortly after we sat down...obviously her reflexes aren't as good in her old age. Another staff member will come around offering to top your roll with sorghum...never had it (that I know of) before going to Lambert's, but it's quite good.

Then there are the Pass Arounds. The staff comes around with large bowls filled with Southern staples: fried potatoes & onions, macaroni & tomatoes, black-eyed peas and fried okra. Eat as much as you want. And don't worry...they're not thrown at you.

But make sure you save room for the actual meals: oh my God-sized portions of food, like Chicken & Dumplings, Country Fried Steak and Barbeque Pork Steak, served up with two vegetables of your choice and a drink.

And did I mention that the prices are cheap?

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to get down to Sikeston the last two times I've been back to St. Louis...but I'll have two more chances this year, as I'll be heading back out there sometime during the summer and again at Xmas.

If you're ever near one of the three above-mentioned towns and you're willing to kick Atkins or any other diet to the curb for a few hours, do yourself a favor and chow down at Lambert's.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Broadhead Diner in Atlanta GA

I give it four out of five stars

Nice diner outside (complete with aluminum facade), even nicer decor inside. Dress is from casual to top hat and tails.

Outstanding waitstaff and chefs (yes, chefs), knowledgeable wine steward who doesn't push off the "house wine" to you, and some of the best eats I've had in a LONG time. Prices match the description. IIRC, complete dinner for two (he had grilled Chilean Sea Bass and I had Filet Mignon with Portobello mushroom cap, plus wine and desserts) cost around $100 plus healthy tip of about $20. I *will* go there again someday.

Brian
Old 02-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

Morimoto (Chestnut St)

The decor of the restaurant isn't exactly my taste, but it's definitely interesting. Color-changing glowing booth, phallic table lights, and a rolling bamboo ceing.... lots to look at without being assaulted by kitsch and flair.
One thing that makes Morimoto at least somewhat unique, is that they offer both a full menu (with offerings such as; sashimi salad I could have eaten all night, and a dry aged NY strip that almost cause Jim to orgasm), and also an "Omakase" tasting menu. Omakase is available at $80, $100, and $120 and up - and everyone at the table must agree to order it. We did this the last time we went, and were served things like; toro tartare, hot oil red snapper sashimi, white fish steamed in a banana leaf, kobe beef, wasabi sorbet, and a sushi/sashimi arrangement.
We had a lot of fun with the omakase but would probably not do it again just becuase it doesn't seem like they change their menu very much or very often, and it wouldn't be worth the money the second time around for me unless it was completely different.

We did see Morimoto the first time we went there, he came around and greeted everyone. Couldn't understand a thing he said, but it was neato all the same. The wine carafs are made from bamboo his father grows in his garden..... uh..... that's about it.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx
Morimoto (Chestnut St)

The decor of the restaurant isn't exactly my taste, but it's definitely interesting. Color-changing glowing booth, phallic table lights, and a rolling bamboo ceing.... lots to look at without being assaulted by kitsch and flair.
One thing that makes Morimoto at least somewhat unique, is that they offer both a full menu (with offerings such as; sashimi salad I could have eaten all night, and a dry aged NY strip that almost cause Jim to orgasm), and also an "Omakase" tasting menu. Omakase is available at $80, $100, and $120 and up - and everyone at the table must agree to order it. We did this the last time we went, and were served things like; toro tartare, hot oil red snapper sashimi, white fish steamed in a banana leaf, kobe beef, wasabi sorbet, and a sushi/sashimi arrangement.
We had a lot of fun with the omakase but would probably not do it again just becuase it doesn't seem like they change their menu very much or very often, and it wouldn't be worth the money the second time around for me unless it was completely different.

We did see Morimoto the first time we went there, he came around and greeted everyone. Couldn't understand a thing he said, but it was neato all the same. The wine carafs are made from bamboo his father grows in his garden..... uh..... that's about it.
I remember when the Food Network did a behind the scenes look at how the restaurant was being designed and so forth. It was very interesting to see them setting up the place. I dig the glowing booths! I nearly fell over when they showed Morimoto bringing in a $10,000 tuna! Good grief, I'd better see God after eating that!

I'm interested in going, but it seems to be a bit out of range price-wise.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
russotto
Professor

Brigids

Brigids, Art Museum area of Philadelphia. A wide range of good inexpensive food, good beer, good atmosphere.

The restaurant formerly known as "House of Hunan" in King of Prussia. (I think it's "Hunan Palace" now). Best Chinese outside of Chinatown.

Trappe Tavern... not because they're so great, but because you expect so little from the place, being basically a glorified college bar. But they have great prime rib, decent steaks, and cheap Yuengling.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:47 AM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I seem to recall the Dim Sum at...at...um...some place in Chinatown as being both inexpensive and tasty as well as popular with the GTG crowd that came. I remember the facade and could find it again if I wanted to. It's the ornate (for Chinatown) place just east of the Gate...

Brian pauses to do a search....AH! Joy Tsin Lao! That's the place!

I just remembered someone I could call to jog my memory.

Old age sucks. LOL

Anywho, come warm weather, I'd be up for a repeat performance. And I promise to NOT make random marks on the (Chinese) bill this time. I swear!

Brian