The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I use 100% of my brain!

I am always hearing the myth that "the average person only uses about 11% of the brain." Usually this is in reference to the amazing potential available in utilizing the otherwise idle parts of the brain, which may unlock super-intelligence, psychic powers, etc. Similarly, highly intelligent folks are assumed to use more of their brains... "Steven Hawking must use, like, 20% of his brain!"

Well, it's just plain untrue. But a staggering majority of people believe this myth. Why is that, I wonder? What makes it so universally believable?

Oops, gotta go... 89% of my brain just shut down.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Maybe because people would like to think they have more brain power than they really experience? My roommate might subscribe to this, as he often appears to attempt to physically "jump start" his brain when he experiences a "tip of the tounge" problem. If he can't think of a word or mispronounces something more than one time, he hits himself in the head hard enough to create a good thunk. As time has gone on, I think this has caused his brain to function worse.

10% isn't half bad, though. If you can still sustain the functions required to live on that, you're doing good.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It is frequently used to justify claims of ESP. The desire to claim paranormal powers often overwhelms scientific evidence.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
juju
no one of consequence

I ran across this a while back, and even put two articles about it on my website (here and here). It's just another one of those things that <i>everyone</i> believes, even though a teeny tiny amount of research would prove it completly wrong. Just odd. The ESP comment is dead-on. It's the same reason people are religious: they <b>want</b> to believe they are capable of more, so they give more credit to explanations that are in line with what they want to believe.

It reminds me of how everyone on the planet started insisting that I put mashed up rice cereal into my 4 week old daughter's formula to help her sleep better. Any cursory amount of research would show it to be faulty and potentially bad for them, and yet I cannot seem to meet a person in this region that doesn't believe it.

Why do people believe weird things?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
headsplice
Relaxed

People believe that kind of thing in order to have somehting to believe in. We've taken away all the great myths, so why not have some others?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by juju

It reminds me of how everyone on the planet started insisting that I put mashed up rice cereal into my 4 week old daughter's formula to help her sleep better. Any cursory amount of research would show it to be faulty and potentially bad for them, and yet I cannot seem to meet a person in this region that doesn't believe it.

Why do people believe weird things?
Maybe because some things happen sometimes that flies in the face of research and common sense.

Mixing that rice cereal up in formula was the ONLY thing that kept Bryan asleep more than 4 hours at a time at night. He was waking up hungry. Put some rice in there in an 8 oz bottle right before bedtime and BAM! Instant 6 - 8 hour nights of sleep.

Researchers say it doesn't work.

But it does. And it does for alot of people. Sometimes those "old wives" knew exactly what they were doing, "science" be damned.

OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
juju
no one of consequence

In the case of everyone I've talked to who refused the pressure from relatives to add rice cereal to formula, their babies started sleeping through the night 1 week after they refused to do it. And the same was the case with me.

The truth is that it's just a coincidence. It's correlational logic to assume that because A happens and then B happens, that B is the cause of A.

Last edited by juju; 01-21-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
Happy Monkey

How Superstition Works

Look under Superstition and behavioral psychology. The ability to learn from experience is an amazing attribute, but it has occasional hiccups.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 01-21-2004, 06:35 PM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

Hmmmm...
Old 01-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Wikipedia link sent me surfing around to cross references until I fould this totally wonderful site ...

http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm

El, you are going to DIG this majorly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
In the case of everyone I've talked to who refused the pressure from relatives to add rice cereal to formula, their babies started sleeping through the night 1 week after they refused to do it. And the same was the case with me.

The truth is that it's just a coincidence. It's correlational logic to assume that because A happens and then B happens, that B is the cause of A.
You've rationalized an explanation that's acceptable to you. That doesn't make it true.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #12
juju
no one of consequence

No, I'm just following the edict that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. And the proof just isn't there, unless you think correlational logic is good.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:47 PM   #13
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

So wait: if you are using 100% of your brain, and you think of "one more thing", what happens?

Old 01-22-2004, 02:05 PM   #14
Happy Monkey

Lightbulb

You think that much less about everything else, of course!
|_______________| [pics]
Old 01-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #15
juju
no one of consequence

Well, it's not all in use at any given time. It's like the muscles in your body -- they're all used relatively frequently, but not necessarily all at once.