The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Brits can't read the story at this link

To the rest of the world, it's a New York Times story:

Details Emerge in British Terror Case

To Brit websurfers who try to follow that link, this is what they apparently get, according to a blog called Everything Ulster:

---
This Article Is Unavailable
On advice of legal counsel, this article is unavailable to readers of nytimes.com in Britain. This arises from the requirement in British law that prohibits publication of prejudicial information about the defendants prior to trial.
---

Here is the redirect page Brits get
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
headsplice
Relaxed

WTF? Any other details?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Times covers its own censorship

Quote:
In adapting technology intended for targeted advertising to keep the article out of Britain, The Times addressed one of the concerns of news organizations publishing online: how to avoid running afoul of local publishing laws.

“I think we have to take every case on its own facts,” said George Freeman, vice president and assistant general counsel of The New York Times Company. “But we’re dealing with a country that, while it doesn’t have a First Amendment, it does have a free press, and it’s our position that we ought to respect that country’s laws.”

Jonathan Zittrain, a professor of Internet governance and regulation at Oxford University, said restricting information fit with trends across the Internet. “There’s a been a sense that technology can create a form of geographic zoning on the Internet for many years now — that they might not be 100 percent effective, but effective enough,” Mr. Zittrain said. “And there’s even a sense that international courts might be willing to take into account these efforts.

Plans were made at The Times over the weekend to withhold print versions of the article in Britain, as well as news agency and archived versions.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
headsplice
Relaxed

Bizarre. Well, for all you Brits (or, if you're like me and just paranoid), use Tor or another network anonymizer.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I (a Brit) just followed the link in your post, UT, and it took me to a page that starts
"Details Emerge in British Terror Case. LONDON, Aug. 27 — On Aug. 9, in a small second-floor apartment in East London, two young Muslim men recorded a video justifying what the police say was their suicide plot to blow up trans-Atlantic planes: revenge against the United States and its “accomplices,” Britain and the Jews."

?????
Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Probably means that they can't determine your location from your IP address. If you know your IP address, go to this page and enter it into the "city from IP" box, and see what it comes up with. I'd guess you're using a smaller provider?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Probably means that they can't determine your location from your IP address. If you know your IP address, go to this page and enter it into the "city from IP" box, and see what it comes up with. I'd guess you're using a smaller provider?
I dont' know my IP address but yes, I am using a teensy-weensy provider, but he gives excellent service!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I can get the IP address you last connected with, would it be OK to use it to look you up on that page and report the results?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

No, that woud be contempt of court

The UK legal system is quite different from that in the US. One of the fundamental differences is that the accussed are presumed innocent before the trial. Thus, any reportage that impinges on this right, or might prejudice an as yet unselected jury, is automatically sub-judice.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No contempt in finding out if his IP address shows up in the lookup site.
He can already access the banned article. He's not trying to circumvent the law, he's wondering why he can, when most Brits can't.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Sorry, Limey, but I'm going to have to report you to your British Fascist masters. You're reading verboten material, comrade, and we can't have that. I'll probably be knighted. They'll probably kill you, or maybe just erase your mind. The latter option seems to have worked well on GW Bush here across the pond, anyway.

Sorry, nothing personal, just doing my job as an American, being Policeman for the World and all that. I'm sure you understand.