The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-27-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
marichiko

Angry Word 2003 DAMN!

Does anybody around here use microsoft word 2003? I can't get the cursor to move anywhere in the document without highlighting the entire sentence or paragraph. Like if I wanted to move the cursor HERE:, it goes LIKE IF I WANTED TO MOVE THE CURSOR HERE: (all high lighted), and won't let me do any editing. Just thought maybe someone here might know how to solve this.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You sure it's not that your mouse is breaking and the button thinks it's being held down?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

Clodfobble's got a point, and you should be able to confirm it by pasting some text into notepad or wordpad, and try doing the same thing. I'm looking to see if I can find anything else, but Word doesn't seem to have a "Fuck up the way moving the cursor works" checkbox.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

The other thing I've found is that if you're using a laptop with a touchpad, your thumbs might be hitting the touchpad and causing wonky things to happen. This usually just causes the cursor to jump around, but if you're using an external mouse, your non-mousing thumb may be hitting the touchpad whilst the other hand is trying to position the cursor. If you have a touchpad, try covering with a business card or something.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
marichiko

Smile

thanks for the advise, guys. I'm using an old laptop, so the touchpad could be the problem. I'll try the business card thing.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

It really sounds like the shift key is stuck. To check, see if caps lock does the opposite.