The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-30-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Tsunami Help

American Red Cross - International Response Fund
Americares - International Relief
Doctors Without Borders

I *think* and hope that the above organizations use the donations as best they can. I've always donated to the Red Cross before but I'm always hesitant following the 9/11 fund fiasco.

If anyone else can offer any more sources, I'd appreciate it!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Here are a bunch of them...I know we just got done with Xmas, but it's still the Xmas season, and those folks really need it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
404Error
Lecturer

Here's a link I got in an email today of some before and after satellite photos of the tsunami. These are the best pictures I've seen to date of the devastation it caused. There's also a link to information and relief organizations.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:41 AM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

More money has been sent over there than they can possibly use for the forseeable future. Give them a chance to rebuild their infrastructure and see what is needed then. Give it a few months and you also reduce the liklihood of waste as well.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:15 AM   #5
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

LOL @ more money than they can use. They can use every penny, and haven't even gotten 1% of what they need
Old 01-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
More money has been sent over there than they can possibly use for the forseeable future. Give them a chance to rebuild their infrastructure and see what is needed then. Give it a few months and you also reduce the liklihood of waste as well.
I've only heard one group say something along these lines thus far--Médecins Sans Frontières.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
It is a good idea to stretch out your giving with a major disaster like this that will absorb many years/dollars. When they drift off the tv screens the funds will dry up. You may want to look for a group that is set up for long term development. As usual I'm going with CRS but there is a charity for everybody out there.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
LOL @ more money than they can use. They can use every penny, and haven't even gotten 1% of what they need
My point is that they can't really use that much money right now. They need materiel and infrastructure stabilization at the moment. Food, medicine, demolition and construction equipment, building materials, etc.

All that is gained by continuing to send them money instead of say, extending them credit, is the opportunity for graft and fraud
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Boeing makes it sooooo easy.
They give me a link to click.
They fill in the blanks because they know who I am and where I live.
I type in my credit card number.
I check off any combination of CARE, Red Cross, Mercy Corps.
Print out my tax receipt.
Boeing gets the money from VISA, matches it dollar for dollar and sends it to my designated charity.
Took me all of two minutes to get those pesky victims off my conscience. :hafucking
Old 01-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Sucker...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten