The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-19-2004, 05:29 AM   #1
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Question How many of you “make” “music”, and why?

Inspired by a post somewhere in (I think) this forum, which I remembers as saying why go to the bother of practising, mastering the difficulty of a musical instrument when you can get your performance tweaked to perfection electronically these days.

The words “make” and “music” can be defined as widely as you like (I’m not looking for an argument on what is or isn’t music here). Do you practice or go for electronic tweaking, or neither. What do you get out of it?

I’ll put my answer in a separate post.

Last edited by limey; 06-19-2004 at 06:33 AM.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

After a few bean burritos and a six-pack of Bud, I'm quite musical...........

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:03 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bassist here. It's a unique sort of fulfillment; it's not "fun" like playing a game, but it's a certain kind of joy. Gives life additional meaning somehow. Hard to say!

These days I practice pretty often because I'm building some chops, but part of my connection to my instrument is how little practice I actually need. I have an ear for it so I think it's very easy! There are bassists out there who wank around and play a lot of busy parts, slapping and popping and such and I never enjoy that. I just want to be the foundation to a song, have a nice tone, contribute my part. If I wanted to be out front with a huge ego I'd be a guitarist.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:36 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

right.

as is true with many other things in life, it's more about the journey than the destination. the pleasure I take from releasing the emotion through the music is more important to me than the end result. making music with other players feeds itself, and gives you the sense of completion that justifies the time spent practicing. you need to practice, howoever to get to where you can begin to play with emotion instead of just follwing the 'scripted' noted that are included in whatever song you're playing.

liken it to painting. you could use an overhead projector to just trace some great work, and come up with a beatiful painting, but why bother?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I play clarinet, including a stint as a music major at a university with a pretty good music school. Ultimately I switched from the performance track to music history, and then dropped out of grad school to get into the IT racket, but I've continued to play.

The thing I've been most interested in is playing in orchestras. There's just something about the experience... like UT says, it's hard to say. On the best nights, it can be a religious experience. It's nice to have solos--I had a really nasty one at the last concert, in April, and judging from the comments, I must have played the hell out of it, but I personally don't really remember it. But I also have a really great appreciation for just playing along as part of the group, creating something that turly is greater than the sum of the parts.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've played guitar since I was 10 (I'll be 48 in September). When I started, it was because I was planning for my future and figured it would be useful in getting laid (yes, I thought about that a great deal when I was 10).

In my late teen years, it became a form of expression for me when I started writing a few songs. Throughout, though, it has been a means of elevating my mood and transforming my state of mind.

Something happens when I play. I don't know what it is, but once I've had the worst day in the world, a couple of hours of band practice makes me feel like the king of the world.

The other aspect of my musicial experience is recording and making a "permanent record" of the things I play. Although I rarely record my own material, helping to bring my collaborator's creations to life through arranging, engineering, mixing, etc over the past decade or so has given me a new respect for the skill of those who do this professionally, and just how much work goes into the things we take for granted on the radio and in our music collections.

The final key of this is the one that no one talks about much...ego. There's no bigger rush than to have people applaud a performance, or tell you that something you wrote or recorded or played on affected them in some positive way. Ego strokes make me purr...

I hope to improve my drumming and keyboard skills in the coming years, because my hands are becoming so arthritic and painful that playing my guitars and bass is becoming very difficult, and my proficiency is suffering. Whatever happens, though, I will make some kind of music, somehow, some way.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I went pro in 1997, and it’s been paying my bills ever since. I play keyboards, do some songwriting, and a fair amount of production work. I’m the guy who puts crappy players in the computer and corrects their playing. I’m also the guy who gets hired to come in at 8 in the morning to replay the keyboard part that the drunk guy in the band spent 6 hours trying to play at 10pm last night. I’m the reason the music industry sucks, but I’m OK with that.

There are just too many reasons why I do it, and they’re all fairly entangled. When you first start to take gigs in LA, someone will pull you aside and explain the 4 reasons to take a gig:

1) The music is great
2) The hang is great (other musicians on the gig)
3) The money is great
4) The career move is great (big name artist)

When you first start out, you’ll take anything, and everything. As you get a little more of a grip into the industry, you can be more selective, and you start to make decisions based on how many of the 4 reasons are in effect on a gig. Maybe it’s a great career move and great money, but no hang and no music – playing on the Hillary Duff record, for example. Those gigs are like a musician’s 9 to 5 job but with better pay. Some gigs are great music, and a great hang, but they pay poorly – like sitting in a big band. Those are fun, but career killers if you take too many.

The ideal gig has all four, and when you get one, you hang on with both hands, and some teeth.

Now that I’m reading back, I realize that these are the reasons why I take a gig, not why I make music. I guess there are two reasons. The first is that it’s something I’m good at, and I love doing things that I’m good at. It’s deeply satisfying. The second reason is this – it’s no secret that I believe in a creator. When we imitate that act of creation by making our own artistic works, we participate in an act that, in some ways, is sacred. I’m not talking about religious art, or things that are meant to be morally uplifting. All creative acts are an homage to the first creative act, and we participate in that when we make music.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #8
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
I play clarinet, including a stint as a music major at a university with a pretty good music school. Ultimately I switched from the performance track to music history, and then dropped out of grad school to get into the IT racket, but I've continued to play.

The thing I've been most interested in is playing in orchestras. There's just something about the experience... like UT says, it's hard to say. On the best nights, it can be a religious experience. It's nice to have solos--I had a really nasty one at the last concert, in April, and judging from the comments, I must have played the hell out of it, but I personally don't really remember it. But I also have a really great appreciation for just playing along as part of the group, creating something that turly is greater than the sum of the parts.

Ah another clarinet player. Granted I haven't played since high school, but I understand what you were saying in that last paragraph.

Whenever we played a concert (either for the school or on location), it *was* a religious experience. We were the best concert band (and jazz band) in Baltimore County at the time, and we knew it (marching band left a lot to be desired lol). Even if we sounded like crap during pratice, we managed to come together and kick ass during the concerts.

Ah the memories...

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
I've played guitar since I was 10 (I'll be 48 in September).
For some reason I cannot get past this. I've talked to you, listened to your CD, even seen your pictures! Almost 50 does not jive with my mental image of you. 35 maybe.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

dont feel bad.

that's how I had him

Last edited by lumberjim; 06-19-2004 at 06:34 PM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This image does a pretty good job of dispelling any possible misconceptions about my appearance:

http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?threadid=3823
Old 06-19-2004, 09:35 PM   #12
blue
Operations Operative

Cool, you'll always be early thirties to me tho. Wondering how I missed that thread, it's almost a year old! Juju being there shoulda been my first clue I guess.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:22 PM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Used to play clarinet. Tried to learn the guitar...didn't work out. The only instrument I play these days is the skin flute.

I was the lead singer of a band for a short time. I keep threatening to re-emerge as a spoken word artist, but keep putting it off. I may have found my calling as a DJ though...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

The only instrument I play these days is the skin flute.

TOOO EASY !!!!!!
Old 06-20-2004, 02:05 AM   #15
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I play the French horn (have done on and off since I was eleven) and Flugel horn, the anglo concertina (since about 1999) and I sing.
By preference I am a fourth horn player, providing the bass notes in a horn or woodwind chord and I love being the foundation of it all. Circumstance (absence of an orchestra or wind band and presence of a brass band locally) forces me to play Flugel and I’m getting my head (and chops) round this gradually. Flugel can get a lot of solos to play but that’s not what drew me to it, the bandmaster told me what to play! I’d be happier lower down in the band …
I took up the concertina because I was looking for a small, party-animal of an instrument with which to join in the impromptu ceilidhs which sometimes sprang up around here. They happen less often now, but I sometimes go and take part in folk sessions. The singing splits into two, either early music (sacred or secular part songs, small group, preferably one voice to a part), or I have a couple of songs which I do at folk sessions.
In my twenties I went through a period of not making music at all and when I started again I discovered just how much I need to make music. Music provides nourishment to my soul and when I began playing again I felt is as an enrichment of my self, without which I get mildly depressed and continually out of sorts. For me it is getting involved in the music itself, or joining in with others, which matters more than public performance. If a song or piece is going really well in front of an audience I am oblivious of them, and can sometimes become aware of them with a jolt in mid-flow, which is rather a shock and I try to get back into the music. Practising, with others or not, gives me the experience of effortlessly “living in the moment” which it would be nice to be able to do all the time – shutting out the brain-chatter which partially distracts me all the time from the moment.
I couldn’t live without it. I tried and it was grim.