The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
pensive pam
Banned

Smile Job Advice needed...

I want to thank the community for all the input on my other thread 'Upset with my wardrobe.' But the interview did not happen. I got a call from the 'recruiter' earlier today. He said he was sorry, but the hiring manager is only considering cadidates that have been out of work for less than 90 days. (At the time, they didn't realize from my resume, how long I had been out of work.)

This is not the first time I have heard this from recruiters. My problem is that I have been out of work for over a year, (almost since college,) and nobody will hire me.

There have been many articles in the news about this 'trend' by employers - of shunning those who have been out of work long-term.

Now, some people have suggested I just make up a job. I even have a friend that said he would cover for me...as my boss. The problem is that if I do that; it is very dishonest. Also, the economy is so bad here (and everywhere), that employers know that people are making up jobs. Hence, they ask for pay stubs and Tax returns to see if you have really worked over the past year...or recently.

Of course other people have said to tell any prospetus employer that I have been taking care of ill family member for the past year. If I say that, then the employer can question whether I would leave his company to take care of another family memember, or if the one I was taking care of became ill again.

Most of these suggestions came from another chat board, which no longer accepts me. (Not that I did anything wrong.) I am reaching out to the community here, hoping for some better answers...

What can be done about my circumstance?? I'd like to here from some of the older, more experienced memembers here.

Thanks in advnce,
Pam.
pensive pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
I got a call from the 'recruiter' earlier today.
But you said you were deaf.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
pensive pam
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
But you said you were deaf.
I have an interpreter someone who assists me. I can also hear a little bit in my right ear, and have a 'boom microphone' on my phone, but for the most part, I let my assitent do most of speaking.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

That blows, Pam.

It's a horrible catch-22 to find yourself in: can't get a job unless you have recent work, can't have recent work without getting a job.

One possible tactic is to try and get some voluntary/unpaid work. See if any of the charity (thrift?) stores need volunteers, or if any campaigning charities need people to canvass/deliver leaflets etc.

Being able to show that you've been doing something even if that something isn's paid work in the standard way, can help give a very different picture of yourself. It suggests initiative and a work ethic. It's also usually a good indicator that someone is a 'team player'.

Not an immediate solution, I grant you, but worth considering. Whilst you are job-searching for paid work, keep an eye out for volunteer opportunities. You won't make any money, but usually you'll get your travel expenses and maybe a meal for your trouble, so it's unlikely to add to your costs too much. It also might be useful for you, if you've had an extended period out of work, to do some volunteering, where the stakes are lower and you can ease yoursef back into the working life.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
pensive pam
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
That blows, Pam.

It's a horrible catch-22 to find yourself in: can't get a job unless you have recent work, can't have recent work without getting a job.

One possible tactic is to try and get some voluntary/unpaid work. See if any of the charity (thrift?) stores need volunteers, or if any campaigning charities need people to canvass/deliver leaflets etc.

Being able to show that you've been doing something even if that something isn's paid work in the standard way, can help give a very different picture of yourself. It suggests initiative and a work ethic. It's also usually a good indicator that someone is a 'team player'.

Not an immediate solution, I grant you, but worth considering. Whilst you are job-searching for paid work, keep an eye out for volunteer opportunities. You won't make any money, but usually you'll get your travel expenses and maybe a meal for your trouble, so it's unlikely to add to your costs too much. It also might be useful for you, if you've had an extended period out of work, to do some volunteering, where the stakes are lower and you can ease yoursef back into the working life.
I thought about that, since I am disabled. I wanted to get a job teaching sign launguage, as a teacher to youger children. Those jobs are almost impossible to get. Then I wanted to work for any charity dealing with hearing impairment issues. However, since I can somewhat hear out of my right ear, TECHNICALLY I do not qualify as being deaf. It's kind of like the difference between being LEGALLY BLIND vs. TOTALLY BLIND. I guess I am really screwed. The deaf don't want me, neither do those who can perfectly hear. It reminds me of a girlfriend of mine. She is half Chinese, and half American. The Americans view her as Chineses, and the Chinesse view her as American.

Always,
Pam.

Pam.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
pensive pam
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensive pam View Post
I thought about that, since I am disabled. I wanted to get a job teaching sign launguage, as a teacher to youger children. Those jobs are almost impossible to get. Then I wanted to work for any charity dealing with hearing impairment issues. However, since I can somewhat hear out of my right ear, TECHNICALLY I do not qualify as being deaf. It's kind of like the difference between being LEGALLY BLIND vs. TOTALLY BLIND. I guess I am really screwed. The deaf don't want me, neither do those who can perfectly hear. It reminds me of a girlfriend of mine. She is half Chinese, and half American. The Americans view her as Chineses, and the Chinesse view her as American.

Always,
Pam.

Pam.
P.S., I forgot to thank you for your input. I will check back later for to see if there are anymore suggestions. I wonder what the Grand Master himself (Mr. Undertoad) would suggest. He seems extremly traveled, and he is an entreprneer. (I know i spelled that wrong.)
-Pam
Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensive pam
I wanted to get a job teaching sign launguage, as a teacher to youger children.
Did you have some knowledge of English before you learned American Sign Language, or did you have to learn them at the same time?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was also going to suggest volunteering. I know that in my area there is a specialty mental health outpatient and residential program for deaf people. Perhaps that kind of residential placement exists in your area. Those kinds of programs are nearly always looking for overnight staff. Ameslan is a plus in a lot of business environments. Are your skills good enough that you could register as part of an interpreter team, or are you just a casual signer?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
pensive pam
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Did you have some knowledge of English before you learned American Sign Language, or did you have to learn them at the same time?
The way I was taught was at the both time; although other people think it's easier doing one first; and some of the so called experts agree with that. Since I can somewhat hear out of my right ear, it was easier for me the way I did it both at the same time...

Any advice on my circumstance? Where do you live, what do you do? Just trying to get to know some of you, and get some advice.
DanaC seems very nice; but for the most point, my arrival here has been very turbulence.

Thanks,
Pam.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
P.S., I forgot to thank you for your input. I will check back later for to see if there are anymore suggestions. I wonder what the Grand Master himself (Mr. Undertoad) would suggest. He seems extremly traveled, and he is an entreprneer. (I know i spelled that wrong.)
-Pam
The grand master?? Are you a friend of UT's or UT himself?

If I had a board, ( like this board ) I might do it.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
pensive pam
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
The grand master?? Are you a friend of UT's or UT himself?

If I had a board, I might do it.
check your PM's. I'm not as dumb as you think...

Pensive Pam
from CP
Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
I'm not as dumb as you think...
There's no way you could possibly be.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

She confused me with someone else, but quoted an unrelated post.

I'm done with that.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
There's no way you could possibly be.
I am poor but I'm not stupid. I know you were insulting me. I came to this country with nothing but a pony. I've tried everything, why don't you like me?

Very upset, I'm very upset.

Infi
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Infi. Lawls.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
be all that you can be, marichiko?, save a horse ride a pony