The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 11-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Restaurants in Raleigh

I am looking for some new places to eat in Raleigh, preferably closer to where I live (East Raleigh/Knightdale), but if it is good, I am willing to travel. What I would really like is some restaraunts that mirror a couple from back home. You know the places, lots and lots of great food, a hustle and bustle place, waitresses that remind you of eating with your mother ("You aren't done with that!! There's still food on your plate!!"). I think the best way to describe is kind of like a diner.

Any other ideas would be good, too, just nothing too fancy schmancy that I would feel weird at eating alone.

Does anyone know anything about Knightdale Seafood and BBQ?

Thanks for any help that can be given
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nobody wants to admit they ate in Raleigh.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Hiya Bbro!

I wasn't aware you lived in Raleigh....I live here too - well, I live here, my stuff still resides in PA until I get it all moved in

I've lived in Raleigh for most of the last 18 months - 15 of which has been expense account, on the boss, dining out so I don't eat in an empty corporate apartment every night kind of life. These are some of the restaraunts that I discovered on my own, and some that I've been introduced to through my S.O. These are a few of the places we like to go when we go out - none of them are really close to Knightdale (we live near TTC, but go further into Raleigh when we go out to dinner)

* Japanese/Sushi - I prefer Shaba Shabu on Wake Forest Road for dressy Japanese - Tokyo House on Six Forks for casual dining
* Deli - Hands down, Jason's Deli in Briar Creek for the best reubens and muffalettas to be found.
* Spanish Tapas - The Red Room - off of Glenwood/Peace Street - Great food, good wine, a neat atmosphere
* Italian Casual - Two Guys on Hillsborough - I went there for the first time on Saturday night - the food was good, the wait staff is excellent, and the prices were reasonable.
* BBQ - Smithfields - there's two around that I know of - one in Knightdale, the other up in Wake Forest - I never knew you could put that much cholesterol on a plate! But oh man is it good.
* Mexican - I was surprised that there aren't more better mexican restaraunts around - but I've stumbled across two - Torrero's on Atlantic, and El Senor in Knightdale - Torrero's is our favorite - El Senor is our "we're in the area and are hungry for mexican" restaraunt - it's passable - a step up from the 'cookie cutter' mexican places around here - but it's not Torrero's.
* Brazillian - Rio Churriscario at Six Forks and Strickland - GO HUNGRY - it's quite the culinary experience. Nothing like 12 men bringing you meat on a sword - to your table. Everything was excellent. It's more of a upscale place - great for dinner out with friends - but if you get a chance to try it, I highly recommend going.
* Carribean - Bahama Breeze on Wake Forest - Yes, the chain - and Yes, it's good. The Paella is excellent.
* Casual Sandwichy Kind of places - Bear Rock - Great bread, fresh ingredients, and they're all over the place.
* Fast Food/Ice Cream - Cook Out - Also referred to as the "Big Pile O Meat" place - the BBQ is always rated one of the best, and with 40 odd gourmet milkshakes - where can you go wrong? (My favorite is the Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana milkshake)

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me for more info or directions - and if you see me around, wave - make this poor Yankee girl feel welcome

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
bbro

Thanks! There are a lot of good suggestions in there! I have been to some of them and heard of some and others are completely new!! I have been here for about 6 months now. I think there is a Two Guys coming to Knightdale in the new place they are building on 64. I saw a sign with the name on it.

I also heard that Knightdale seafood and BBQ is to die for.
Have you ever been to McAlistar's (sp?) in the north hills for a deli? May have to make a tripo to Briar creek, though.

One thing I did want to suggest was Compadres for Mexican. I haven't been to the other places, but they are really good. They are in the strip mall on 64 with Sheetz and Food Lion.

Don't worry, I will wave to a fellow yankee!! You will recognize me by my Pittsburgh accent and the fact that all the natives think I talk REALLY fast
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Hey BBro!

Want some good food? Skip Raleigh and drive up to Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Durham. I used to live in Chapel Hill and I miss the food terribly. My favorite restaurants are: Elmo's Diner - there is one in Carrboro and oen in Durham - it's a diner with a very funky, yet typical diner menu. The one in Carrboro is better because it isn't as close to Duke. Also, I would advise you to check out Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill for Nouvo Southern Cuisine, Foster's Market in Chapel Hill (owned by Sarah Foster, former staff member of Martha Stewart), A Southern Season in Chapel Hill, a huge gourmet food store with a restaurant and awesome deli. Most places on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill are really good. Durham is home to some really good places too - like Magnolia Cafe.

In Raliegh, there is an AWESOME Lebanese/meditarraenean deli near NC State and Fairgrounds - it's called Neomonde. It is soooo good. They have a website, www.Neomonde.com and it gives good directions. It's sort of hard to find, but once you find it, you won't forget!

Enjoy NC - I'm so jealous, I would love to move back to Chapel Hill!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My work here is done.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
Dagney

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
Want some good food? Skip Raleigh and drive up to Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Durham.
If you go to Chapel Hill, you have GOT to visit A Southern Season. Take a full wallet..and eat first, you'll want one of everything. University Mall is where it is, there are a lot of other neat things in that mall as well - PM me if you want or need ideas

Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
My work here is done.
Thanks for the jumpstart Bruce!

melidasaur - might be something worth checking out. Time to use another part of my map!! I looked at the website, but no Gyros! I am jonesing for some gyros! Any ideas?

I might just take you up on siphoning info from you Dagney, thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Dagney

Gyros can be had at a greek deli over in Briar Creek - I've not personally been there, but have heard good things

Dagney

Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro
Thanks for the jumpstart Bruce!

melidasaur - might be something worth checking out. Time to use another part of my map!! I looked at the website, but no Gyros! I am jonesing for some gyros! Any ideas?

I might just take you up on siphoning info from you Dagney, thanks!
Really? No Gyros? I thought that they had them there - but everything there is so good. I'm not a big fan of Gyros, so I wouldn't know where to go.

There is also a really good hole in the wall BBQ place in downtown Raleigh - Cylde Coopers. It's where all the politicians go for lunch and it's mighty tasty. It's a definite greasy spoon - all paper plates and plastic utensils.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Lamb gyros for lunch yesterday. Treated MrsV at the company cafeteria. Grilled lamb, tsziki, feta, pita, delish!