The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 03-10-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

New Orleans, Louisiana

I'm going to New Orleans in June, and would like any information on "touristy" things, and not so touristy things.

I've looked on the internet, and so far, I'm interested in the ghost streets tour, and there's also a plantation/air boat tour for $155.

I'm staying at the Dauphine House, near the French Quarter, and have 4 days to do stuff, one of those days I'll have my kids (ages 16, 11, and 7) with me. Six Flags isn't an option, because the husband and the 7 year old dont like rollercoasters.

Help me out!
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, one place to check would be the New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau

Unfortunately, it's a 3 hour drive to Avery Island, the birthplace of Tabasco sauce. If it was me in New Orleans, I'd make the trip.

Avery Island Tours
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Re: New Orleans, Louisiana

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
I'm going to New Orleans in June, and would like any information on "touristy" things, and not so touristy things.

I've looked on the internet, and so far, I'm interested in the ghost streets tour, and there's also a plantation/air boat tour for $155.

I'm staying at the Dauphine House, near the French Quarter, and have 4 days to do stuff, one of those days I'll have my kids (ages 16, 11, and 7) with me. Six Flags isn't an option, because the husband and the 7 year old dont like rollercoasters.

Help me out!
Good call on 6 flags. Unless it has been drastically changed since last year, the rides are either too oriented towards 3 year olds or too oriented towards vomit induction.

Geeze, New Orleans...where to begin....?

Just what sort of fun are you looking for and just how much trouble are you looking to avoid? You missed the annual obcene-debauchery festival known as Mardi Gras. Its a good thing, being that you've got the kids.

Seriously, check out the aforementioned tourist info bureau. It'll point you toward more family friendly and worthwhile events. The ghost tour sounds fine. Swamp tours are never boring and it will keep your kids engaged.

There are plenty of $eriously excellent restuarants. I'd do that without the kids. They can get $$$$$

There are some shopping touresty things like Jax brewery or the River Walk - more designed to seperate you from your dollars. Parking downtown can be a bit of a problem - if you're renting a car. I'd avoid the French Quarter bar scene - its more trite/pitiful than anything. (It may have changed, I haven't been in the French Quarter for some time - since my buddy Neil's car got stolen during the Batchelor party I was throwing for him) Be aware and careful everyware you go in the city.

I've heard good things about the Avery Island tour - I've never been on it.

Don't leave without Cafe-au-lait from Cafe Du Monde.
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Well, I'll only have the kids on one of the days, so I was thinking Aquarium of the Americas + Zoo + IMAX thing that day for the 5 of us on that day, then the expensive plantation/swamp tour for the adults, I was thinking riverwalk, but I've never liked mall shopping per se.

We're not renting a car, we're going all local transportation (trolley, walking, taxi, tour van). Karen (at the B&B we're staying at) says parking is a serious bitch. So we're foregoing it. I do want to go to ONE fancy-pants restaurant while I'm there, but I don't know where I want to go. I was thinking Emeril's, but I actually want to EAT for my $200, as opposed to being served this teeny-weeny portion of food.

I don't wanna get drunk, I don't wanna spend $500 at the mall. I can do that HERE. (Although, I do wanna pick up a couple tshirts.) I'm more interested in the history and character of the place.

We're thinking about the voodoo and cemetary tours, too.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
phillybilly
Belt Conveyor

Cool GREAT PLACE

Was there two weeks ago.....took the ghost tour, it was OK....

Just kind of play it by ear, once your there you may never know what you want to do. The Only things I had any plans on doing were the ghost tour and the D-Day museum.

Check out Jackson square, well worth it and have a hurricane or two for me!
phillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:04 AM   #6
Scopulus Argentarius

Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:
Originally posted by phillybilly
Was there two weeks ago.....took the ghost tour, it was OK....

Just kind of play it by ear, once your there you may never know what you want to do. The Only things I had any plans on doing were the ghost tour and the D-Day museum.

Check out Jackson square, well worth it and have a hurricane or two for me!
Congrats!.... Glad you had fun... When I go there, I usually lighten up a good bit - In-Laws tend to assist in brain-cell-suicide and wholesome-herfing-fun. I look at it as "killing the malignant brain cells" I don't think I could live there...maybe 50 miles away....but not there.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #7
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Re: Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:
Originally posted by Scopulus Argentarius

Congrats!.... Glad you had fun... When I go there, I usually lighten up a good bit - In-Laws tend to assist in brain-cell-suicide and wholesome-herfing-fun. I look at it as "killing the malignant brain cells" I don't think I could live there...maybe 50 miles away....but not there.
I actually live about 50 miles away. On the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Bourban street can be interesting during the day as well, book stores on the north end, if they're still there. Around Jackson Square are antique stores, street artists and performers. Between Jax Brewery and the Dafe du Monde is hippy hill where you need to look out for the mimes. Palmists, card readers and such come out at night around the square as well. A friend of mine calls it the Inner Light District.

And don't forget the beignets when you're at the cafe as well.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
Scopulus Argentarius

Re: Re: Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

I actually live about 50 miles away. On the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Bourban street can be interesting during the day as well, book stores on the north end, if they're still there. Around Jackson Square are antique stores, street artists and performers. Between Jax Brewery and the Dafe du Monde is hippy hill where you need to look out for the mimes. Palmists, card readers and such come out at night around the square as well. A friend of mine calls it the Inner Light District.

And don't forget the beignets when you're at the cafe as well.
Covington, Mandeville?
Old 03-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #9
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Re: Re: Re: Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:

Covington, Mandeville?
Hammond
Old 03-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Scopulus Argentarius

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:

Hammond
Nice quiet town?? (sometimes) Not quite a bad place to live... you like it?

Doing the Tour de Tangiphohoa this year?
Old 03-22-2004, 09:45 AM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:

Nice quiet town?? (sometimes) Not quite a bad place to live... you like it?
I like it. It's getting to that uncomfortably large situation like Mandeville though. Too many people in a town suited to much fewer.

I'm in walking distance of school. (Southeastern Louisiana Univ.)

Quote:

Doing the Tour de Tangiphohoa this year?
What the hell is it?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
Scopulus Argentarius

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:

What the hell is it?

Big ole bicycle run that happens in the fall - Septemberish or so. It usually originates a couple of blocks from SLU, had been historically started in the park just south of the campus. I think it was moved as I missed last year's event due to scheduling conflicts.

32 miles or 64 miles of Beautiful Tanghaphoa Parish, your choice.

The kiwanas

Yah...Hammond is nice....traffic really sucks.

HiHo still in business down there? What about Taste of Bavaria in Pontchatoula?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GREAT PLACE

Quote:
Big ole bicycle run that happens in the fall - Septemberish or so. It usually originates a couple of blocks from SLU, had been historically started in the park just south of the campus. I think it was moved as I missed last year's event due to scheduling conflicts.

32 miles or 64 miles of Beautiful Tanghaphoa Parish, your choice.
Nope, that would require exercise or something resembling it.

Quote:
HiHo still in business down there?
Yeah, but their locations vary over the course of the year.

Quote:

What about Taste of Bavaria in Pontchatoula?
Oh yeah. It's been a while since I've been though.