The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Mental Health and discrimination

an interesting article about doctors discriminating against people suffering from mental illness

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/op...anted=all&_r=0
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder why?

Why waste my time?
This could get real complicated and time consuming?
I don't want to risk a lawsuit?
My malpractice Insurance is already too high?
Company policy?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
monster

I would suspect the second, but my level of knowledgeis on a par with a cube of jello. My shrink friend posted it on facebook and I was drawn by the title.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

When a crazy guy walls in to the ER, the doctor sees crazy first and patient second. I have had several patients die because they were known as frequent flyers and actually were having heart attacks, stomach cancer, appendicitis, and seizures, to name a few.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
monster

BUT the author of the article doesn't have visible crazy -they started discriminating once they were told of the mental illness (bi-polar).

We're all a little weird here in the cellar and some of us have mental illness, but are we really "crazies"?

Is all mental illness "crazy"? Maybe you're one of them?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Because unlike physical disabilities, there is a tendency to believe that a person's behavior--no matter how clearly linked to a chemical imbalance or neuronal pattern difference--is still fundamentally their choice, their fault.

It's not about blaming the victim though, it's about the observer feeling powerless: if that mentally ill person is not ultimately responsible for their behavior on some level, then the sane person also cannot take credit for their mental stability. If we're just bags of chemicals and it's all a crapshoot, then you don't get to feel good about anything you've accomplished in your life. Blaming the mentally ill is just a logical continuation of a human being's basic ego.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, anyone different than me is obviously flawed, so if they don't limp I have to assume they're crazy.

Oh wait... maybe I'm crazy and they're not... or we're both nuts... but I limp a lot... hmm... nevermind.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
monster

perhaps it's your nuts causing the limp?

in either sense of the word

But seriously, this is alarming, isn't it? That members of the medical profession who ought to know better allow their illogical prejudices to affect their treatment of a patient in such a serious way
Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They're a little smarter maybe, better educated for sure, larger egos from what I've seen, but still human, with all the warts and flaws, not gods.

It's a high pressure job and if they suspect someone of making it tougher, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go into defense mode.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...not gods...
I'm not so sure, Bruce. I think most of us say "My God!" every time we see the doctor bill. So...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They're a little smarter maybe, better educated for sure, larger egos from what I've seen, but still human, with all the warts and flaws, not gods.

It's a high pressure job and if they suspect someone of making it tougher, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go into defense mode.
Yebbut..... how is someone with bi-polar whose mental condition isn't noticeable until drug info is shared making a doctor's life harder? I agree if it's someone demanding drugs for a complaint that hard to verify......
Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Possibly because the doctor doubts the diagnostic assessment that lead to the prescription in the first place... As one example, I take an anti-seizure med that has been, in recent years, rampantly prescribed off-label for depression. The last two times I went to the hospital, there were multiple times where I would give my current medications and various assistants or doctors would say, "...for depression?" When I said, "No, for partial temporal lobe seizures," they would look surprised.

Meanwhile, many years ago when I was first trying to get the seizures diagnosed, I had a doctor tell me they were just run-of-the-mill panic attacks and try to brush me off with a quick prescription for Xanax. I told him I wasn't going to take it because I knew that's not what was going on, and he made me take the paper anyway, "because you might change your mind." Psych meds are so common now that many doctors assume they've been wrongly over-prescribed until proven otherwise. Scorn is a doctor's natural demeanor.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Yebbut..... how is someone with bi-polar whose mental condition isn't noticeable until drug info is shared making a doctor's life harder?
If they are legitimately bi-polar and taking drugs for it, there's a good chance it will make the treatment of anything else more complicated.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Scorn is a doctor's natural demeanor.
I suppose I'll die with a scornful look on my face, then.

Yes, bipolar meds make things more complicated. However, it's been my experience, having raised children with mental health disorders, that nurses are more prone to labeling and stigmatizing.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
monster

I have many nurse friends/acquaintances, but away from their work (which is where I see them) most of them strike me as the people least likely to become nurses. maybe they save all their empathy for the patients. The one I know best certainly says some horrible things about the families of her patients, much of them stereotyping/labeling-type comments that make me very uncomfortable. But she deals with children with cancer and I suspect it's a mechanism to stop her "caring too much". But I think I might be more concerned if she were deciding the course of treatment.