The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-20-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Taking a gun class next week...

Handguns, that is. Signed up my wife too.

I know there are some gun enthusiasts in here and, having little experience with guns, thought I'd check with you guys and gals in case there is something I should know or do or ask before or during the class. After the class, I plan on scheduling some time at their indoor range and trying a variety of handguns (the place will rent them to shoot).

I just think, even if we don't end up buying one, that we need to know how to operate them properly and safely. I'm a little worried about buying one with two toddlers in the house.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

That's great Beestie. I have a bunch of years of active use and carry of handguns but I dont have kids. You might want to get Griff's strategy on having HGs in the house with kids.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #3
blue
Operations Operative

Why are you taking the class Beestie?

I grew up with guns. Keep the safety on, don't point it at anything unless you're going to pull the trigger, lock 'em up when you're not using them, respect them because they can take away a life.

You can probably skip the class.....can't think of anything more you need to know.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I grew up with guns. Keep the safety on, don't point it at anything unless you're going to pull the trigger, lock 'em up when you're not using them, respect them because they can take away a life.

You can probably skip the class.....can't think of anything more you need to know.

I dissagree !!!!!! I grew up with guns as well , and have tought more than one person how to shoot and respect for guns . If beestie thinks he and his wife may want a fire arm around the house or for carry a class is a GREAT place to start !!!

Beestie , tell your instructer that you have little or NO experence with guns , they NEED to know this !!!!!
Pay CLOSE attention and rember that their is no such thing as a stupid question .

At the range later when you are trying out different guns find one that fits your and your wifes hand . I doubt it will be the same gun . A gun that fits your hand will feel like an extention , and you will be able to hit a target with it with out haveing to consentrate to hard . In a stressful situation that can be the little edge that saves your or your wifes life .

Good luck , stay safe , and keep them in the 10 ring !!!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
blue
Operations Operative

No, I think a class is a good idea, but a little common sense is all you need.

Guns are dangerous things in the wrong hands.

Guns are wonderful things in the right hands.

Why do YOU want to have and use a gun? The answer to that question says a lot about the person asking it.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:03 PM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Why are you taking the class
I called our local indoor shooting range to ask about renting different handguns and trying them out on their range. I told them I didn't have a lot of experience so they suggested taking their introductory class. Made sense and seemed like a good idea.

I can think of a few questions right off the bat that I expect the class will address:

Which are the most/least accurate?
What are the characteristics of different sizes and types of bullets?
How to load each type of gun (revolver and 9mm??)
How many shots for diff guns?
Best grip to use when shooting.
Recoil differences.
Which guns (rounds) are the most/least lethal?
Location of safety for each gun type?
Differences in cost?
Liklihood of jamming for diff guns?
Other stuff I don't even know to ask about and, most importantly...
How best to secure the firearm from kids/ general gun safety.

I thought since it is the range itself that is offering the class and since they **really** want us to take it before renting us handguns to shoot on their range that it would probably be a good idea. The other thing I like is that once we finally do take to the range itself, that we are a little more confident that we are using the firearms correctly. And I think confidence is a big part of properly handling a firearm.

But, getting to the rest of your post, what kinds of guns do you have and when do you get to use them??
Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
blue
Operations Operative

Why do you want a gun?

You did everything but answer the damn question.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:31 PM   #8
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
You did everything but answer the question.
I thought I addressed it in my opening post. Proper use of a firearm is simply a skill we wish to acquire for its own sake. I just don't like not knowing how to use and own one.

I'm not really contemplating buying one. But if the anti gun lobby gets a foothold in a new Administration, I'll be first in line at the gun show. As long as the decision is mine, I'll make it in good time but when and if the gubmint decides to rewrite the 2nd amendment, I will build a cache of them before the ink dries.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:14 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You'll most likely enjoy yourselves.

I think everyone else has given you all the usual advice (although I usually phrase it as "don't point it at anything you don't want to put a hole through."

Oh, and remember that you are on the SAFE end. For some reason, a lot of people worry about that.

Hopefully they will give you experience with a variety of weapons, both revolvers and semiautomatics.

You might also want to check to see if they will let you try a shotgun as well ... if you're not going to carry, it's actually a better weapon for home defense purposes.

Kids and firearms can coexist ... I'm not a big fan of trigger locks, but a lock box that opens with a push button combo can be a reasonable compromise.

Kids and guns can coexist in a household (I survived my own childhood and I even knew where the key to the gun cabinet was stored AND where the ammo was kept ... course I wasn't spoasta ... )

Send them to Eddie Eagle gun safety classes when they are old enough to comprehend.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
staceyv
Lecturer

i've always wanted to go to a shooting range and fire away!!
that seems like so much fun.. keep us updated! how much does it cost?
(i also have a punching bag hanging in the middle of my bedroom and i have an affinity for drums.)
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Why do you want a gun?

I own a number of firearms and found myself asking this same question. The answer I have is a little strange, as I don't own them for defense or hunting, which I think are the two most frequent replies.

Instead, I find I have an odd attraction to "remote control", as I call them, activities. Playing pool requires concentration to push the que ball in the correction direction with the proper spin to hit another ball to send it home. I love darts, too, because you must have the right throw to put them where you want them to go. Guns are just the same way. There are so many aspects to getting that little projectile to hit the paper in the correct place: have a proper grip, a good trigger pull, control your breathing correctly, and an understanding of how the bullet falls in flight. To know that a slight breeze or that something as thin as a leaf can completely change the flight path of a bullet flying 1200 feet per second is amazing to me. The concentration the process requires is very relaxing.

That, and I have an affinity for things that are intended to survive a beating and still operate with the precision of a watch. The mechanics of an automatic pistol are simple, yet complex -- while most people despise having to clean them, I rather enjoy it not just because the chemicals make me dizzy, but because you get to understand the physical workings. Guns are neat.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58

Quote:
From The Mask of Zorro
Don Diego de la Vega: Do you know how to use that thing? (points to sword)
Alejandro Murrieta: Yes. The pointy end goes into the other man.
I suspect that there's more they will want to know.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #13
beavis
butthead died

first of all i commend you on your proactive approach to learning about firearms.

i'm going to have to agree with wolf here and recommend a shotgun if the primary purpose is home defense. god forbid the time should come that you actually need to use it for such, a shotgun gives you a much larger margin for error in a high stress situation than a pistol would, it's easier to hit your target. an additional benefit is that there is a much smaller risk of any projectiles escaping. pistol rounds (some more than others) are more likely to penetrate walls and cause further damage and injury than shotgun load. i own both a pistol and a shotgun and am quite experienced with both, but if it came down to a home defense situation i would grab the shotty first. also it happens to be my favorite gun to shoot and is relatively inexpensive to purchase.

if you do decide to go with a pistol, i would recommend a medium caliber revolver (like a .38 or similar) or a .45 auto. revolvers have the advantage of simpler operation, i.e. less chance of mechanical malfunction or user error, but a quality auto pistol (i like glocks) should prove to be just as reliable. in terms of caliber i believe the .45 is your best bet for home defense for similar reasons as stated above for the shotgun. a .45 has great stopping power, as opposed to other calibers (i.e. 9mm or .44 magnum) that have more penetrating power. again less risk of stray projectiles and if it comes down to it you want to knock an attacker down as opposed to poking holes.

having said all that i would recommend trying out a variety of guns and see what you like. chances are you will never be forced to use it in a lethal situation so get something you can have fun with. i have 2 (soon to be 3) shotguns, a .22 long rifle and a .45 glock and i enjoy them all. i shoot mostly shotgun at the trap range, but i also enjoy the occasional pistol session and the .22 is a blast to shoot and the ammo is dirt cheap.

my approach to safety is simple: a gun is always loaded. if you treat it as such you will never have an accident. i never keep loaded weapons but i still always double check when i handle them, and even after that i don't point them at people. when it comes to children and guns, out of sight and reach is a good addition to a capable lock IMO.

my 2 pesos, let us know how the class goes.
beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:19 PM   #14
mrnoodle
bent

I love it when people take gun classes. Anything that destroys the popular mythology surrounding handguns and educates ppl as to their safe use is a good thing. The only suggestion I have is to check the background of the person offering the class. Not 'is he/she a criminal' per se, but what experience do they bring to the table? Have they taken a certified trainer's course? What's the instructor/student ratio in the class? In a classroom environment it doesn't matter so much, but on the range, there's a tendency for students to make errors in judgement that result in unsafe conditions. There shouldn't be a student with a gun that isn't within arm's reach of a trained observer/instructor - 1 instructor for 2 students is good.

A variety of handguns to select from is good as well. A lot of people get all worked up over perceived recoil, when there are many other issues relating to shootability that are equally important. Hopefully your instructor knows that.
Good luck, hope you have fun
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote