The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
GMOs, endocrine disrupters, Pesticides, and other things that go bump in the night.

It may be just the types of news feeds I'm reading but it seems like more and more folks are deciding that they are transgender. I'm sure they are and it is not a choice they are making and I wonder if there are more TG people per capita than ever before or if the number holds steady and it is just that they are more vocal and aware of what they are feeling and have an identity that can be shared with others. (As opposed to living in secret confusion and shame and feeling isolated)

So I got to thinking if there is an uptick in people who present as TG, might is have something to do with parents being exposed to endocrine disrupting chemicals at some stage?

Hmm, a quick google search reveals that, once again, I'm late to the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenborntranssexual.com
The vast majority of the 85,000+ chemicals registered with the EPA have never been evaluated for their potential for biological signal disruption, so it is not known how many chemicals in commerce might be implicated (Landrigan, et. al., 2003). Because estrogenic effects were first identified, there was initially a focus on estrogenic chemicals but it is now known that androgens, anti-estrogens, and anti-androgens exist, as well as others (NRC, 1999). A partial list of chemical classes demonstrating endocrine disrupting properties includes: halogenated dioxins and furans, organochlorine pesticides, PCBs, phthalates, Bisphenol A, polybrominated flame retardants (PBDEs) and the breakdown products of alkylphenol polyethoxylates (Colborn, et. al., 1996). In addition to these chemicals, products intended for consumers, including pharmaceuticals, which are pharmacologically active by-design, and personal care products, many of which contain EDCs and are used in great abundance, are increasingly found in the nation’s waterways (Kolpin, et. al., 1996). Many of these chemicals have been found in people at levels far above where endocrine disrupting effects are observed in animals (Houlihan, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.gendercentre.org.au/
Pesticides Cause Gender Change... and the Worldwide Decline in Frog Populations

There is now growing evidence that a range of pesticides, industrial compounds, and at least one food additive are causing sex hormone changes in a range of animals from fish to turtles. Some scientists have argued that the effects of these hormone-mimicking chemicals threaten the future of the planet. Whilst governments around the world are preoccupied with the toxic and cancer causing effect of industrial chemicals, they seem to have overlooked the effects of these compounds on the environment at minute concentrations.

Last edited by footfootfoot; 01-05-2015 at 01:47 PM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks to Monsanto, Asgro, Zeneca/Peto, Con-Agra, Et Al, Stan Lee's Super Heroes will always have evil mutants to battle.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I wrote a couple of papers on endocrine disruptors for my MPH. It's a huge issue, and the horse is out of the barn.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
Pamela
Deplorable

I don't think that there is any rise in the number of tg individuals. We're simply admitting the condition and now that there is effective treatment and a path to a hope for a better future, we are coming out of the closet and at the same time getting more press coverage.

You are simply becoming more aware of a subset of the population than you ever were before.

That's my opinion only, of course.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote