The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Is my external HD fried?

I just bought a one TB external HD and I've been transferring everything from my 250GB HD over to it...it's all mp3's. I got pretty much everything I want over on the new HD, but the old one is starting to concern me.

When I tried to move this one particular folder over to the new HD, I got a cyclic redundancy check error. In another folder, when I tried to delete a particular mp3, nothing happened...the HD just froze. And with the latter, it's causing my whole system to slow down.

I've error-checked this HD, ran chkdsk/ f on it and even downloaded the Eraser program...none of them got rid of that pesky CRC file. I can't run defrag on it because it finds that CRC file. And now the HD is getting finicky when I just plug it in via USB. Sometimes, I have to disconnect the power, then plug that back in for it to show up.

So...how can I tell if it's just these rogue files or the actual HD that's crap?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

also run a memory check. That can look like hd problems.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
dar512

Here are a couple of programs to test memory.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

http://www.totms.co.uk/archives/2007/11/entry_57.html
Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

LMAO

I clicked on this as a "new post" link and wasn't thinking about the thread title. I started to click on memtest thinking it was to test MY memory.

FAIL!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I couldn't figure out how to use memtest, but I'm pretty certain it's the HD now. I just hooked it up to my desktop computer and am having the same problems. And I'm pretty confident that I don't have 2 computers with RAM issues.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
dar512

Makes sense.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Go back. Start over. First look at your symptoms which say nothing about a memory problem.

A disk drive consists of two parts: a computer and a disk platter. CRC error occurs when the disk drive computer reads data off the platter erroneously.

Do not try to fix anything - ie run a defrag. Diagnostics mean breaking a problem down into parts. Long before that other part - fixing something - first identify the problem.

Now, how does this external drive get connected - USB? Some USB ports do not provide sufficient power or a marginal voltage when a largest load is applied. USB ports are limited to ten watts. Disk drives consume something less than ten watts. Was the drive designed with a ten percent margin or error? Well, first confirm the problem stays with the drive on numerous USB ports of other systems.

A responsible disk drive manufacturer will provide comprehensive hardware diagnostics. That is a tool to discover if the drive is reliable on one USB port and not on another.

Typically a CRC error is either a defective disk platter or a problem with the read write heads and electronics. However, a low USB voltage can make numerous and contradictory errors. Worse, trying to fix this during low voltage could eventually trash the entire drive.

Diagnostics are step one: how to first identify the problem long before fixing anything. Trying to fix something without doing step one can even make the problem exponentially more complex.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote