The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

A little question .

A question for my fellow cellerites ,
At the company i work for we get xmas eve and day off , since this year Xmas fell on a saterday we were suposed to have friday and monday off my imedeat superviser asked some of our customers which days the were takeing off and the answer varried , some thrusday and friday , some friday and monday , and some just friday . My boss asked us guys who wanted what off , since there would probley be some service calls on thursday and monday , my boss split up the days evenly so there would be atleats some people on hand to handle incomeing service calls . The only problem IS that we had a snow day thursday ,

SO what i want to know is for the folks that were schedualed to work thursday and had the day off because of snow but had monday scheduled off should they take monday off ????

I had thursday and friday scheduled off so am I entilted to a day off with pay ???
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

My guess is that you now have a "banked" day off to take at some point in the future. Your company may allow you to "cash it out" if you don't take it.

In my opinion, you are entitled to one or the other (the cash or a future day off with pay).
Old 12-28-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I would mention it to them......around the start of fishing season.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Depends on the company. I think the bankable day sounds fair, but what's really important IMO is that everybody in the same situation gets the same resolution.

My favorite was back in 1992 or so. There was a pretty bad snowstorm. I got up about 6:15AM and called security where I worked and asked them what was up. They said classes would go on as normal, but administrative offices were closed. (This made sense.. this was not a commuter campus; almost 100% of students and better than 3/4 of the faculty lived on campus or within one block.) So I went back to bed.

The next day I got very peculiar looks when I walked in. Finally my boss pipes up, "We're glad you're here... we were a little worried when you didn't show up yesterday." "Oh," I said, "weren't we closed yesterday?" (I didn't bother asking, if they were so worried, how come they didn't at least try to call me at home.) It turned out the security folks were confused and were giving out the wrong information for a brief time and of course I called during that time.

I was a bit aggravated at our HR guy... the ruling was that I should take a vacation day. He didn't answer my email pointing out that, while I admitted it wasn't fair for me to get a free day off, it also wasn't fair to me to burn a day off because somebody else screwed up and told me not to come to work, when I would have been there otherwise. I didn't push it because I was in no danger of using up all my time off that year.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote