The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

D.U.C.E

Tell me what you think:

Democratic United Countries of Earth

I believe one of the biggest problems our world faces today are the imaginary borders we have created for ourselves. Since the beginning of time, wars have been fought over territory and the battles rage on even more so today due to overpopulation. Civilization works so well because so many different outlooks and viewpoints from so many different people are tackling any one idea. It is the reason America has become so successful. My vision is to implement another level of government, which would govern the world. Each country would have a representative in this global congress and every human being would now be a citizen of Earth, free to go anywhere they please, as opposed to being limited to their birth country. This would also eliminate the need for every country to have their own military. There would only be the D.U.C.E military, which would be a combination of soldiers from every country, which has taken part in the D.U.C.E unity. The military would be rarely utilized, perhaps only to deal with a rogue nation now and then. This would also eliminate the need for 50% of the world’s scientist to be employed by some form of military. Instead of half of the brightest people thinking of new weapons and ways to destroy us, we can focus our energy on improving humanity, curing diseases, and aiding our environment.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

acronyms are evil. look what they did to this kid.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

What the deuce?!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The have-nots would love it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

government = force
Your vision conflicts with my vision. I think Bruce mentioned to duck duck (?) on another thread, that different peoples have different ideas about how much government interference is good for them. Americans tend to have a pretty low threshold for being told what to do and an unfortunate blindspot when it comes to telling others what to do. World gov would actually increase conflict and is thankfully unworkable.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

i truly believe the path we are currently on is one which will end catastrophicaly. beside we can start small, say a merger between the U.S. and Canada...
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Ibby
erika

Yes, sure, start small with a war between the Canucks and the Americans... and the Quebecois against everyone else.

It could never work. The current nation system doesnt work too well, but it's better than the alternative at the moment.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
i truly believe the path we are currently on is one which will end catastrophicaly. beside we can start small, say a merger between the U.S. and Canada...
Which is your paranoid fantasy? (I lay out my position on page 2)
Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Civilization works so well because so many different outlooks and viewpoints from so many different people are tackling any one idea.
Isn't this a good argument against one slave owner rather than many?

If we get one world government with one army, we've created a monopoly on the "legitimate" use of force. I believe we'd have to collide with a 1+ mile asteroid to kill more people.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Isn't this a good argument against one slave owner rather than many?

If we get one world government with one army, we've created a monopoly on the "legitimate" use of force. I believe we'd have to collide with a 1+ mile asteroid to kill more people.

i think the elected congress would help make sure no one person would have too much power.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

I have much lower confidence in mob rule. I'm more concerned with groups of people being mislead, rather than the misguided individual.

Just as its better that we have fifty States trying different solutions to problems, fifty nations are better than one. If one supergov implements a foolish policy we're suddenly talking about screwing up humanity not just Grenadans or Cubans.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

In older to do that it would have to be a slow process. You first have to get all the nations onto the same side and then slowly integrate them into on nation.

I don't think it will ever happen though.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 AM   #13
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'd point out that it'd be that way with merging Israel, Jordan, and the West Bank together.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

One goal is to make it so anyone can live anywhere, and travel the world freely. By doing this, it pretty much makes it useless for a group of people to claim a piece of land as "theirs". Imagine being able to live anywhere in the world with the same freedom and luxuries as you have grown accustomed to as having here, anywhere. Another benefit would be poor nations would now get a huge boost in economy because they would essentially be joining the union and therefore receive all the benefits which come with it. Imagine the poorest, war-ridden country in say for instance Africa. After joining duce, the nation would immediately thrive and probably become a tropical tourist destination. The countries with the most power over the rest of the world would be hesitant to initially give up this spot at the top of the pecking order they have achieved; this is only issue i can foresee.

- God Bless
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
One goal is to make it so anyone can live anywhere, and travel the world freely. By doing this, it pretty much makes it useless for a group of people to claim a piece of land as "theirs".
No more private property?
Quote:
Imagine being able to live anywhere in the world with the same freedom and luxuries as you have grown accustomed to as having here, anywhere.
You have no idea how many countries don't have flush toilets
Quote:
Another benefit would be poor nations would now get a huge boost in economy because they would essentially be joining the union and therefore receive all the benefits which come with it.
Who is funding all these benefits the billions are suddenly getting?
Quote:
Imagine the poorest, war-ridden country in say for instance Africa. After joining duce, the nation would immediately thrive and probably become a tropical tourist destination.
Somehow being hacked with machetes would probably be off putting
Quote:
The countries with the most power over the rest of the world would be hesitant to initially give up this spot at the top of the pecking order they have achieved; this is only issue i can foresee.
Wait and see if you feel the same way when you get into third grade.