The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Raising the Recruitment Age.

According to the Times the military may go for older folks to meet their needs. People are in better shape today but old bodies break down under stress. Considering the two fat kids just out of basic training I stood with in Dulles the other day, its probably a good idea.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

this has been coming down the pipe for quite some time. we see an almost endless stream of individuals in their late 30's who want to join and they have developed a skill set that is much needed - but no dice because of age. this will allow the IT guy who is tired of the corporate world to go into some pretty incredible jobs already bringing his experience with him. some of the other areas this would work for would be crew chiefs, LE, finance, linguists, etc.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think they are mired in the philosophy that everyone in the Army(service) is a soldier. As the world and military evolved, some of the soldiers needed specialized training but they were still a soldier and could be counted on to shoulder a rifle and hold off the Mongols storming the gates.
War doesn't work that way any more. Now the Mongols are tracked and attacked long before they even see the gates.

I know basic training is more about brain washing than soldiering, but in the real world war is more about brains and skills that physical condition for many of the players.
Yeah, the guys in the trenches have to be tough but the guys in the Pentagon or some far flung operations centers aren't crawling through the mud.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

the age limit is upped to 39 for the National Guard......

But you still have to get through basic. And it's the same as reg Army (wink, wink, nod, nod)

My physical training (thinning down to something less than the fat ass junk food inhaling recluse I am ) has begun.

when the enlistment bonuses get to 50k, I'm there man. That and if they can guarantee* night shift assignments

* - This is for entertainment purposes only. The only thing that they can guarantee is that my training, education and experience with be completely worthless with what I would be required to do in the Army.