The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Elimination of U.S. Pilot Truck Program Triggers Mexican Tariffs

Kind of delayed but I'm curious to know what are the main arguments for preventing Mexican trucks from using the US highways? Safety doesn't seem to be an issue and I don't see protectionism befitting many people in this situation.

I can't tell if Obama unknowingly scrapped the program or not.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Lat...ica/wm2357.cfm

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/6313809.html
Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Mexico wants a trade war? LOL.

This will be like kicking a midget.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Safety doesn't seem to be an issue
Are you nuts?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration--the relevant oversight agency in the Department of Transportation--"recently issued a report showing there had been no accidents involving trucks participating in the program."[7] The Mexican trucks are constantly monitored while in the U.S. and must meet rigorous USDOT safety requirements.[8] In fact, "Mexican trucks in the program have a better safety record than their American counterparts."[9]
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Lat...ica/wm2357.cfm
Old 03-28-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
In fact, "Mexican trucks in the program have a better safety record than their American counterparts."[9]
And if you follow the links it goes to a Texas newspaper editorial, with no substantiating evidence or corroboration. That don't make it true, Skippy.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Heritage.org? Should have known. They'd sell their own grandmothers.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My territory.

The main arguments are safety (unsubstantiated), job protection(also unsubstantiated) and somehow this is Bush's fault (it's not, blame Clinton, he signed NAFTA). Mexican trucks are all inspected at the border, Their out of service rate IS less than ours. While in the USA, Mexican drivers must abide by our rules. The only valid safety point is that it is possible for a Mexican driver to use two logbooks, one for the US and another for Mexico, to drive more than the allowed hours per day.

The unions are worried about the job loss, but the Canadians have been running here under the same rules and have taken no jobs.

The shrill refusal to admit our part in the treaty, signed years ago and only now are we beginning to live up to our obligations as we have required others to do. We either obey our own treaty or we should repeal it.

The Cross Border Demonstration Project has been defunded through the fiscal 2009 budget. What this means to NAFTA remains to be seen. I am watching.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
My territory.

The main arguments are safety (unsubstantiated), job protection(also unsubstantiated) and somehow this is Bush's fault (it's not, blame Clinton, he signed NAFTA). Mexican trucks are all inspected at the border, Their out of service rate IS less than ours. While in the USA, Mexican drivers must abide by our rules. The only valid safety point is that it is possible for a Mexican driver to use two logbooks, one for the US and another for Mexico, to drive more than the allowed hours per day.

The unions are worried about the job loss, but the Canadians have been running here under the same rules and have taken no jobs.

The shrill refusal to admit our part in the treaty, signed years ago and only now are we beginning to live up to our obligations as we have required others to do. We either obey our own treaty or we should repeal it.

The Cross Border Demonstration Project has been defunded through the fiscal 2009 budget. What this means to NAFTA remains to be seen. I am watching.
Wasnt it a one year demonstration project implemented in FY 08....with the US having the right to extend it for two years?

I dont doubt that US labor is opposed to it...but why should it be automatically extended?

Is it also correct that Mexico has no mandatory drug/alcohol testing for CDLs? We may inspect the vehicles for safety violations at the border but do we test the drivers?

I dont know the answer to these questions...just asking.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pilot programs are always limited in scope and under a magnifying glass by lots of concerned parties, so everyone involved is on their best behavior.
The problems arise when the pilot program has been declared a success, then the gates are thrown open to all. At the same time, most of the people that had magnifying glasses walk away and leave the poor understaffed agencies to deal with it.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Redux

According to an interim DOT IG report issued last year, it has not been all that successful...fewer than expected number of carriers and no assurances that they were all checked:
Quote:
On March 10, 2008, we issued our Interim Report on NAFTA Cross-Border Trucking Demonstration Project, as required by legislation enacted in May 2007. By law, we are required to issue an interim report at the six-month point of the demonstration project, which was initiated on September 6, 2007, and a final report 60 days after the conclusion of the project.

Our audit found that at the 6-month point, fewer Mexican carriers and vehicles have participated in the project than expected. The low number of carriers currently participating is not sufficient to provide reliable statistical projections regarding safety attributes of Mexican carriers. The Department has established and is supporting an independent panel to assess any adverse safety impacts from the project; however, the panel is also concerned that it will have insufficient data when the project ends. Finally, FMCSA has established and enhanced mechanisms for state and Federal monitoring and enforcement of safety rules. Federal Motor Carrier Administration records show that checks of Mexican vehicles and drivers are occurring at the border, but FMCSA does not have assurance that every participating truck and driver is checked every time it crosses the border into the United States because a key quality control measure designed to ensure this occurs has not been implemented.

http://www.oig.dot.gov/item.jsp?id=2254
I know Bush extended it for two years right before he left office, despite the deficiencies noted in the DOT report and Obama just revoked that extension.

Makes sense to me to revoke the extension, if the FMCSA is not able to assure that every truck and driver is checked when there are such low numbers involved to-date (fewer than expected)...at least until there are greater assurances that quality control border check measures are fully implemented.

Last edited by Redux; 03-29-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
sugarpop
Professor

I really don't know enough about this to comment so I will stay out of it. I'm glad it's being discussed though.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I see, you don't know much about trucking, except how to flash the drivers.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
sugarpop
Professor

sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
Mexico wants a trade war? LOL.

This will be like kicking a midget.
You've clearly never fought a midget, have you? They're small, but that means they're smaller targets, but still plenty strong. The vicious little buggers will duck your kick and have your balls off in no time. BEWARE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
I really don't know enough about this to comment so I will stay out of it. I'm glad it's being discussed though.
Come on, this is the Cellar. Since when has knowing what you're talking about been a requirement for posting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I see, you don't know much about trucking, except how to flash the drivers.
And they're worried about safety problems from the truckers.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #15
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

So, the companies that moved their factories to Mexico for the cheaper wages are crying because we might not let them also truck the stuff in to the States with cheaper drivers too. Figures.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote