The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Holy shit my city is on fire

There are 3 separate wildfires going on right around us. First was the rural town of Bastrop, which we have been watching with tragic interest but were not worried about for ourselves because it is 30 miles southeast of the city and was reported to be moving in the opposite direction.

But then later today Steiner Ranch caught fire, in a seemingly unrelated incident (other than the fact that we've all been suffering through the same drought conditions,) and that subdivision is within the city itself, on the west side, and considerably closer to us.

And now there's another fire in Leander, which is genuinely close to us. I have multiple friends who live within 2 miles of the most recently-reported borders of that fire, and if the Leander fire gets as big as the Bastrop fire, my house will be very much in range. They are unable to fight any of these on the ground due to the high winds and everything being dry as a bone, so the water helicopters are the only thing we have going right now. At the rate this crap is spreading, it's conceivable that we might get an evacuation order in the middle of the night tonight.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Bloody hell Clod. Hope it doesn't come to that. Keep dropping by let us know you're ok.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I hope your house has the recommended defensible space around it. Be safe and please follow evac orders if they are given.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
I hope your house has the recommended defensible space around it. Be safe and please follow evac orders if they are given.
How big is that? I'd say we have about 12, maybe 15 feet between us and the neighbors on each side. You'd better believe we're getting out if they tell us to. But when they give the evac order, do you have 30 minutes to throw necessities in the car, or do they wait to tell you until you really have to get out-out-out?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Bullitt

Recommended is a good 100ft of open space between your house and trees, brush, and other structures. Good rule of thumb is twice distance your tallest tree measures. Seems like you're in a more suburban than rural area, so get anything flammable out of your yard, pre pack the car with necessities and some valuables. Use the free time now to think about what you want and can take, instead of rushing at last minute if you're given evac orders.
They will give you a rough time frame to get out. Unless it is imminent, which is where it is good to have the car prepacked.
If you have some hoses and sprinklers you should set those up on vinyl siding, wooden eves, and porch/deck. A low constant misting is fine, will help douse airborne embers that land on flammable surfaces. Those water drops from the helos won't hold the fire back. The ground crews need a strong line around it.

Last edited by Bullitt; 09-05-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Pack the car NOW. Or at least make a pile of necessities by the door ready to load. Especially with the special needs of your kids, if you need to go, you'll really want it.

The last minute evacuation is just about the most dangerous thing you can do (short of running naked into the flames). Down here the rule is to either (A) go early, or (B) stay inside the structure until the main front has passed, then come out and fight the spot fires. Option B does not work with really big fires, but by the time people realise that, it is too late. They try the last-minute dash. It ends badly.

Take care, Clod, and listen to Bullitt more than me 'cause he knows your local conditions better.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Good Luck Clod, but I hope you don't need it.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Be safe!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Shit! We had the wettest August ever. Wish I could send some rain your way ...

Good luck favors the prepared, so prepare!

And keep in touch!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Clod, run this way if you need to...I can take care of up to eight refugees if needed.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
get anything flammable out of your yard,
Heh. This is the worst drought we've had since the 50s. My yard is flammable. Completely brown and dead, from curb to fence. That's why they can't keep these things under control. Over the whole state there are something like 63 currently active fires.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Crap! Listen to Bullitt and get things as prepared as you can.
Please stay safe.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I've been seeing posts like this
Quote:
URGENT, URGENT, URGENT - Dakota Rescue's 2nd Chance Ranch has to EVACUATE.
We have 90 rescues at our facility, an uncontrollable FIRE headed in our direction.
We need help to take dogs into foster care until out of danger.
Please call 713-705-3390 if you can help.
all over facebook today. I wasn't sure if they were bogus.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
Bullitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Heh. This is the worst drought we've had since the 50s. My yard is flammable. Completely brown and dead, from curb to fence. That's why they can't keep these things under control. Over the whole state there are something like 63 currently active fires.
Yeah that's what I've heard. I was speaking more of plastics, wood piles, lawn mowers, gas cans, etc. Don't bother watering the yard. Won't do any good at this point. The water will just vaporize before it has a chance to really saturate the plant matter. And even then the fire will dry saturated grass very quickly.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Waiting for Bachmann to say the fires are God trying to get Rick Perry's attention.

Whether an overwhelming threat is man or nature, a time proven response is to "create distance." In battle this means immediately moving at least one masking terrain feature away. Determine the equivalent for your situation and you'll have a plan for no notice evacuation. With short notice, the priority is still a timely departure; however, it now means leaving early enough that there will be alternate means of transportation available should yours fail. Enhance your post-evacuation situation thru advance preparation; but, don't jeopardize a timely evacuation for it ... take care fobble family.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote