The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The vets have given Pearl a final inning

When she was 8, the vets found Pearl's heart murmur. The head vet, the guy who owns the whole practice, talked to me about it. "Her normal life expectancy would be 12 years. With this, she might go at 10," he said.

Pearl is 13.

Her heart is very much enlarged, and she will die of congestive heart failure. We know this.

For the last two months she has started having seizure-like cardiac episodes, where she has an arrhythmia and falls over, unconscious. She's out of it for 30-60 seconds, and then she recovers for 5-15 minutes. She's generally not in pain during these things, although she is anxious.

It happens when she's excited, or when she exerts herself.

Every time, I wonder if this is the last. If this is the one that gets her.

To keep her going as long as possible, she is on a cocktail of four different drugs. The vet has increased the number and dosage she's on over time.

For the last few days she has been reacting well to the last increase. This gives me hope that she will hang on for another few months. Maybe the move won't be so difficult for her, and she'll have a little time at the new place. Her EKG was improved at the last visit. Modern veterinary drugs are doing for my dog what major surgery did for my mom.

That's what I hope. I love my dog so much, you can't believe it. With all the change happening in my life, it is a favor the vets and the world are doing for me, keeping her going a little while longer.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Hang in there Pearl.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Wishing you a happy holiday season with Pearl, UT. I'm glad the vets are able to help her out with meds. Best wishes.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Best wishes for Pearl's health.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

happy thanksgiving pearl

chill out little one. It's all gonna be alright.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too UT. have some turkey and some chill if you can too. you've been good, very good to Pearl, and she knows it. much love to both of you.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Knowing in advance, even 5 years in advance, doesn't help one damn bit.

Pearl has repaid her room & board many times over, and you've been loyal to her. Shows you can maintain a healthy relationship, if the other half holds up their end.

I remember suggesting you get another dog when you lost the last one, so Pearl would have company and you would have a buddy when Pearl eventually wore out. You didn't, and now with all the shit going on in your life, if that was a good or bad move.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
glatt

Sorry, UT!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Crap. Pearl knows how loved she is, and you know how much she loves you in return. That's the amazing part. My heart is with you both.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
SamIam

That's really sad, UT. Sorry to hear and hope Pearl and you will still have some time together.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Very sorry to hear about Pearl, she's always been one of my favorite imaginary dogs.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Pearl - that she can help you move, and approve your new place, and that the parting, when it comes, is gentle to you both.

Sent by thought transference.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oh, UT. UT & Pearl.

My heart goes out to you both.

I'm so glad Pearl is responding to her new dosage. I know how much you love her-ever since that first pic of her you ever posted of her little doggie self that I saw. I knew that she was beloved- she had that *look* dogs get when they get good love.

Like Carrot- *that* look.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I remember suggesting you get another dog when you lost the last one, ... you didn't
No money. I tried briefly, but was skint when the time came, and had to bail on my breeder. And the thinking is, you don't get a dog when you're skint because you can't pay the vet to treat it properly if something goes wrong.

I will be looking to adopt, I think, when the time comes.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

True, UT. Would you be able to pay for all Pearl's meds if you had another dog? Would she get all your attention?
I value Bruce's opinion, but just the way things worked out I think you made the right decision.

I can taste your grief in the back of my throat. It's so bitter to lose a living being that gave and received love so selflessly. And know your only real hope of consolation is it not hurting so much one day.

My love to you.
Pearl doesn't need it. She has your love and her life has been perfect from her perspective because of it.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I am so sorry to hear about Pearl's issues. The "fainting "spells, and the anxious after, are very familiar. My Freya did that for a few weeks, before she passed on. Freya had accute Boxer Cardiomyopathy... in english, an enlarged heart. The vet told us it would just be a heart attack that finished her, but it ended up choking because of the enlarged heart. One thing to watch for is a hacking coughing, sounds much like kennel cough or something stuck in her throat. If you do get unlucky enough to hear that, call your vet. It is a heart wrenching sound. But the vet may have meds or suggest the dreaded E word, but it might be the right thing for your baby. I have been there, felt that, and hated every second of it.
Value every second you have left with your baby! Screw the housework, curl up with her. Everything else can wait.

I am not trying to scare you, or make what you are going through worse. In fact, quite the opposite. If you know what could, or might happen, you may be more prepared for it. We had no clue, and waited days before calling the vet. We simply thought it was kennel cough.
We were not going to get another dog quite as fast as we did, but it ended up 13 days after Freya passed on, we were blessed with Aesa. If the right dog, or the right situation comes up you will know it.

My thoughts are with you and Pearl.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote