The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is Boobies a 4 Letter Word?

Apparently some teachers and school administrators do.
Quote:
A $4 rubber bracelet meant to raise breast cancer awareness has done that and more: Students nationwide are wearing the "I ♥ boobies" wristbands, and running afoul of school administrators.
~snip~
Kollin West, a 14-year-old student at Laramie Junior High School, is one student who got in trouble over the bracelets. The ninth-grader began wearing his bracelet after noticing the number of women being treated for breast cancer at a hospital where his father was undergoing chemotherapy for testicular cancer.
"I just thought it would be a good idea to support breast cancer," said West, who also wears a bracelet that says, "Check Yourself."
School officials objected, ordering West to wear his "boobies" bracelet inside-out because they considered the bracelet's wording inappropriate. West pointed out that girls at his school, the local high school and even an elementary school were wearing them without a problem.
I can see both sides of the issue, but their solution boggles my mind.

Quote:
School officials ultimately agreed to allow him to wear it except in the presence of two teachers - one a victim of breast cancer and another who lost a relative to the disease - who found the "boobies" reference objectionable.
Those two teachers, of all people, should be 100% for any campagn to beat this scourge.
Fuck Cancer.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

There needs to be a fuck cancer wristband campaign.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
And on the inside of that wristband it should say "Not with your dick and Mike pushing"
Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Is there an African Americans and the N-word element to this? Only dudes couldn't wear the wristband right side out?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
There needs to be a fuck cancer wristband campaign.
There is - Too many are offended by their own perceptions instead of the real meaning ....

Old 10-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Those two teachers, of all people, should be 100% for any campagn to beat this scourge. .
Who says they're not? How much of the money from these bands goes to the cause? An how much does using the word "boobies" instead of breasts help? If it sells bands to people who wouldn't otherwise give money, chances are it's to the people who will only buy them if they're cheap and therefore very little of those $$ end up doing any good beyond keeping the Chinese employed.

Where do we get off telling breast cancer survivors/sufferers/their relatives how they should feel about campaigns to help them? Be quiet, the grown-ups are talking and we know what's best for you? Would we say the same to child molestation victims if they found a fuck five-year-old-fingerers or banish baby-buggerers band offensive?

Some women -especially those who have had mastectomies- feel that their suffering is being trivialized and the publicity is not about raising awareness of breast cancer at all, it's about using cancer as an excuse to do something that would otherwise be deemed socially inappropriate. Using their very personal and very traumatizing cancer experience as a stepping stone for political/personal publicity aims and general money making (not fundraising).

Some women feel very incomplete after mastectomies. But they cope by looking at it in scientific terms: "it's just a diseased body part I didn't need any more...a breast..." Calling them boobies in this context and saying how important they are to everybody -especially men -and let's face it, that's who's likely to sit up and take notice of the word boobies- re-sexualizes them and makes these women feel less whole and less valued again. Not all women, necessarily, but some.

The "save the boobles" campaign suggests men sitting around feeling smug because they can think about and say boobies without their wife complaining.

Show some fucking sensitivity. if they find it offensive, why isn't that OK? They have at least had the disease -unlike all those whiners who find a mosque in NYC offensive despite the fact they live in bumfuck Tejas and never knew anyone who died there because no-one they know has ever left the county they were born in.

When will we see the "Shit Happens" toilet paper in support of bowel cancer? Will we wear brown "scented" wristbands? Will we all poop publicly to show our support for colonic well-being? Can we use it as an excuse to moon people from our cars show our assholes from our vehicles to raise awareness and not be arrested?

Here's my support for the campaign to fight middle finger cancer.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

By using the word boobies, I get the impression they're trying to bring awareness of the disease to a younger demographic. That's usually what little kids call them when they're still nursing etc, so I guess it carries forward from that.

As to people being upset about it, I'm really surprised at the double standards around here at times. There have been references to things which I find particularly offensive and personally hurtful and yet I'm told to get over it. I'd love to know what the difference is here.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
monster

because this is a bulletin board on the internet and you're notoriously whiny? everyone has "double standards" by your apples and oranges definition -would you give your life to save your kids -yes, someone else's kids -maybe, someone else's dog -no.......
Old 10-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

There is no difference Ali. It a good thing. My sis-in-law is now the oldest living female in her family at just over 50. They have lost as least six women to breast cancer. Her daughters have been selling bands for a group they started.
She, and they think its a great way to reach a broader base. Its called marketing.
I don't see where anyone is trivializing the issue, nor do I see it as anyone telling them how to feel.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Aliantha

Bullshit monster. I do not whine. Why do you have to be such a bitch all the time?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
monster

beacuse i'm notoriously bitchy.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Aliantha

clearly
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I don't see where anyone is trivializing the issue, nor do I see it as anyone telling them how to feel.
OMG really?

yes, I'm kidding, I'm not remotely surprised you don't get it.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I heart knockers
Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
monster

I love life.