The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Lawsuit Forces Closure Of Kids' Basketball Gym

Quote:
CBS13) RANCHO CORDOVA Amid tears and fond memories, Basketball Town in Rancho Cordova has officially closed after moving out last night.

The company says it can no longer operate because of the high cost of fighting a costly lawsuit brought against the court.

Owners say their financial troubles started when a man claiming to be disabled was at the court to attend his nephew's birthday party being held is an area on the second floor with extra seating. He was reportedly unable to access the area. The employees offered to take him up the stairs or bring the party downstairs. The party was eventually held downstairs at the pizza parlor, but the man decided to sue the court for damages.

The cost of fighting the lawsuit is $100,000.

The company hopes to continue its program at community centers and schools.
This should be filed with the story of lawyer wanting $60 million for his lost pants. Stupid.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

or with stories about spiteful assholes.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

How big is Rancho Cordova? That guy is going to be real popular.

There's a guy in our small town who did the same sort of thing. He brought a grievance to the city council that the curb cuts at the street corners didn't meet regulations. The council raised taxes, got bids, and started changing every curb cut in the entire town. After they had the project underway, the guy sued the town for being out of compliance, and won. So taxes were raised again to pay the judgement. Guess how popular this guy is?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Results of the 2000 Census

City of Rancho Cordova Demographic Data:

53,718 People
36,030 were White
6,086 were African-American
505 were Native American
4,413 were Asian-American
281 were Pacific Islander
3,024 were Other
3,379 were a combination of two or more races
6,901 were Hispanic
19,987 Households
20,926 Housing Units
The average household size was 2.73
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I am an ardent supporter of Equal Access. However, this guy was offered a reasonable accomodation, which he refused. The subsequent lawsuit is difficult to see as anything other than a money grab in light of the employees' willingness to rearrange the situation to allow the gent access. This differs from the hot dog place Rob wrote about in that the proprietors of said establishment did not offer any sort of accomodation.

If there's a way to screw things up for everyone in order to make a buck, you can bet someone will do it.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
rkzenrage

He sued the company for money?
What an asshole!
Just file an ADA complaint and get them to be compliant... shit like this hurts everyone.
I find it very unsettling when I tell people stories to get them to see my/our POV the first thing out of many people's mouth is "I would sue their ass".
I always say, that would solve what?
Sometimes it gets worse... "well I would be set" or something like that. Sometimes, "teach them a lesson". They don't hear the only people who make any real money are the lawyers and we all end-up paying because insurance premiums go up, so we all pay more for our premiums and products that stores sell to off-set their premiums.
Most don't hear it.
I would only sue in the face of true intentional, continued, negligence or as a last resort and never for my own gain or to the extent of closing something like this.... man what a jerk.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
lookout123

Quote:
Just file an ADA complaint and get them to be compliant... shit like this hurts everyone.
and what if they don't have the money in the budget to make the building compliant?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I'm not familiar with the specifics of what makes a building compliant but according to the video next to the article, the same services were available upstairs as downstairs, so it would literally make no difference if the party was up or down.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
lookout123

then they should just beat the fucker to death with his wheelchair. problem solved.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
and what if they don't have the money in the budget to make the building compliant?
Then they can't keep their building safe for regular patrons to begin with and would have closed anyway.
A ground floor ramp costs very little.
Have a bake sale.
This also means they are excluding disabled kids.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I'm not familiar with the specifics of what makes a building compliant but according to the video next to the article, the same services were available upstairs as downstairs, so it would literally make no difference if the party was up or down.
Then he is just being a dick.
Same service is same service... I must have misread it, I was under the impression that he was unable to attend.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
Ibby
erika

there is no way for him to get to the top floor... unless they carried him, which they offered to do.

But they did move the party to the ground floor, which has the same services.
This guy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

...legally, i mean. *cough*
Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
This should be filed with the story of lawyer wanting $60 million for his lost pants. Stupid.
Actually, that was a judge.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Then they didn't have enough money to be in business in the first place. ADA is not optional, therefore, being compliant is as much a cost of doing business as property taxes, insurance and lease payments.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #15
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

The video states that because the same services are available upstairs as downstairs, there was no need to put in an elevator to the second floor for those who can't do stairs. The video makes it out to seem like they were in fact compliant, but this dude just has a stick up his ass. Who knows maybe an employee was snotty to him about it and only offered to carry him up or move the event downstairs after lengthy haggling. Given the nature of the person they interviewed though, that seems unlikely.