The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

The Deodorant Thieves

I just ran to the pharmacy for beer (like you do) and thought I'd better pick up some deodorant for beest while I was there, and every damn stick had at least one and mostly two labels saying "CVS only" "call this number if you are not buying this from the Carpenter Road CVS". And when I checked out, she had to deactivate a security tag. It was a $9 two pack of deodorant! No security tag on the beer.....

So I asked her only half seriously, "so, is there a lot of deodorant theft that goes one?" Oh yes, she says, almost every night by the shelfload Then she goes on to produce a photo album of suspects taken by the security camera. Apparently it's easily resellable and highly desirable. Who'd a thunk it? You learn something new every day.

psssst.... wanna buy some deodorant? I got gel, solid or are you after some roll-on?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I've seen a few people selling things like deodorant from baskets around town. And I've noticed that the ones SELLING it are never the ones USING it.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
monster

That was one of my first thoughts too. But I've never seen it being sold from a basket around town. Although, mostly the hippies round here grow their pit hair and go au naturel, so I'm guessing they're selling it in the next town.....
Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Its an organised gang, I tells ya.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
monster

sol.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not so much resellable as small and returnable. Steal it, return it for cash at the next store down the block.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

That how you're makin ends meet nowadays, huh?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's small time stuff... to really be a hustler takes computers and internets and shit
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Actually, I've had a small business idea that I might as well throw at you...

Down Under, there are 3 or 4 companies offering wireless/mobile internet. They all make roughly the same claim about performance ("UP TO" 7.2 Mbps, actual performance may vary depending on blah blah blah.) One may be technically faster, but have so many subscribers in my area that it is overloaded. How can I tell?
So I just had to take a guess at which would would work best where I actually live (and any other places I frequent with my computer, which are few).

I would have given a goodly sum to have some techie bring one (or maybe four identical) computers to my house and simultaneously test all four rival networks and give me the data, so I can make an educated choice.

Just throwing the idea up, AFAIK you might not even have rival wireles internet providers or something. The business costs would be a few standardised computers, and subscriptions to the rival providers.
Hell, to be really smart, you work as an agent for all the rival providers and sign people up then and there. Install it for them. watch 'em surf.

Ok, you may now think of all the reasons it won't work.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Not so much resellable as small and returnable. Steal it, return it for cash at the next store down the block.
not here. No cash returns without receipt. Also, these stickers will render the label unreturnable when removed. But maybe store credit? To swap it for something really useable? the police told the store they were good resale items though. And the store down the street is not going to accept a shelf-full of returns
Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

[nelson] "Smell ya later!" [/nelson]
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yes, small-time theft and item return is a staple of drug addicts. Another popular target: the hanging plants displayed out in front of a store.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Yes, small-time theft and item return is a staple of drug addicts. Another popular target: the hanging plants displayed out in front of a store.
How does one go about that? You steal the hanging plant and then go to...? Is there a black market for hanging plants?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

You steal it from one Wal Mart/Home Depot etc. and then you go a few miles down the road to the next identical store of the same namebrand.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
You steal it from one Wal Mart/Home Depot etc. and then you go a few miles down the road to the next identical store of the same namebrand.

And return it?

"I, uh, I decided that this plant didn't go with my drapes..." WTF?

No wonder my local Wal-mart (which I refuse to go to) treats their customers more like criminals. They want to do a colonoscopy on you before you leave the store.

—James Barrie