The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 09-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

USA beat England in the Womens WC Soccer

Good round ball this am. England was strong and the US had some lucky scores. I really felt it could have gone either way. Great game to watch.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It was a good game. I think this years' England team did really well to get so far.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

I've got it on the DVR but haven't watched it yet. i'd like to see Waumbach(sp) and Lilly go out on top. bring on the youth.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think the British womens' game has really stepped up a notch the last two years. It is getting a higher profile in the sports roundups than it used to and I have noticed in my own area what amounts to a minor explosion of footballing girls :P So I would say watch this space. In a few years I think the British team will be a serious contender.

The American team seems to me to be streets ahead of the rest right now. I think its a much more mature scene over there. Perhaps because the mainstream (male) game didn't have such a foothold there. In the big footballing countries it's been an exclusively male preserve for a long time, its entire history. Big doors for our lasses to break down.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
lookout123

IMO, the US women's soccer program has been so successful because women's international soccer has really only sprung up in the last couple decades as a popular sport. Most nations really started putting focus on the program at about the same time, so a large country (US), with significant assets devoted to play (US), generally equal opportunity for the sexes (US), and a competitive nature (US) would tend to spring to the front of the line.

The exact opposite is true in the men's program. The rest of the world focused on it for 100 years before the US even managed to put together a viable league (MLS). It takes awhile for a country to cultivate it's homegrown talent and bring it up to speed. I feel that the US men's program has about 15 years before it will even be competitive. But our new generation of youngsters looks promising. Adu is overhyped, but good, Michael Bradley, Benny Feilhaber, Josey Altidore, Jay Demerit, Clint Dempsey... These guys are earning their stripes playing in England, Spain, and Germany. I look forward to the day they push Onyewu and Donovan out of the squad.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
TheMercenary

Well, just goes to show you, don't get to cocky:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1490194.story
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
rkzenrage

I heard the US coach benched a popular US player and upset some people.
S-all I know.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
TheMercenary

yea, he substituted the goalie, less experienced one for the more experienced one. I am not sure it would have done anything other than made the score 2-0 instead of 4-0.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
lookout123

actually the coach should be kicked squarely in the balls for that brainless move. he benched a keeper that has had fantastic chemistry with her back four, they were working intuitively together. He benched her for the old keep who hadn't been good enough to see a match in 3 months, because she had been between the sticks against brazil before. stupid. stupid. stupid.

he disrupts team chemistry and more importantly he has damaged the confidence of the best keeper he has for the foreseeable future. jackass. unfortunately, the US soccer federation is so full back slapping BS that nothing will change.