The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here comes Bush.

President Bush is coming to see me on Tuesday.
Anything I should tell him?
Film at eleven.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

yeah - ask him how the hell he got a 5 minute standing ovation in arizona before he even opened his mouth. it was pretty ridiculous.
and ask him when he is going to ditch rumsfeld and bring someone in who realizes that the military needs more people, not just more toys.
and ask him why i keep getting pictures of him and his wife in my mailbox.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sorry for the delay, life intruded.
Anyway, Boeing announced today that Bush would be touring our plant on Tuesday. They haven't spelled it all out yet, but he'll see people working, some people will meet him, then some kind of shindig/rally because each employee will get 3 tickets to whatever it turns out to be. We can bring in 2 family/friends. One guy told me he'll give his 3 tickets to the Quakers that protest the war in Kennet Square every week.
Most important to me, we can't drive in the plant on Monday or Tuesday. Find a place outside then enter through airport style security, just to get to work. They'll pay for this.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
They haven't spelled it all out yet, but he'll see people working, some people will meet him, then some kind of shindig/rally because each employee will get 3 tickets to whatever it turns out to be. We can bring in 2 family/friends. Most important to me, we can't drive in the plant on Monday or Tuesday. Find a place outside then enter through airport style security, just to get to work. They'll pay for this.
I think I'd call in sick that day and sell the 3 tickets on eBay.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #5
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Ask him what the plan is for Iraq and Afghanistan and ask him what the exit strategy is! Neither Bush nor Kerry have really touched on this point and neither of them really seem to have any idea with what they plan on doing over there. Bush just wants to pre-emptively strike all nations in that region that raise an eyebrow at him and Kerry...I'm still not sure what he wants.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

One can only imagine the security detail necessary for Bush....at this time, and this wide open and with as many people that there are at the plant.

I'm a Bush supporter but short of an invite to the White House, I'd pass on seeing him speak....er-, trying to speak.

I do think it would be cool to see him. I would have to chuckle when he fucked up his pronunciation of nukular, though. It wouldn't be long before the ss would be taking me away.

And I would inisist on passing some object over his head to verify that he has no puppet strings. That wouldn't go over too well either.

The whole idea of having him come to your workplace has made me think. What would I ask him or tell him? I dont know.

I would probably just tell him that I'll be voting for him and that many of the people that I know will be also. That I appreciate him making the tough decisions over the past 3 years and that whether he wins or loses I'll always think of him as the President that I most identify with.

If I had the time and opportuntiy, I'd like to say hello to Laura too.

and.......

If I could, I'd get 3 autographs. One each for the Slangs serving active duty today. I know they'd treasure them.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:44 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
One can only imagine the security detail necessary for Bush....at this time, and this wide open and with as many people that there are at the plant.
Heh... my 8yo told me about a month ago that she "hates George W. Bush." I asked her why.... it turns out she STILL hasn't forgiven him for coming to the YMCA in Ardmore to give a talk earlier in the year. All the traffic etc. made her school bus run an hour late coming home that day!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
... my 8yo told me...
Good point. She can't vote yet though.

Whup, scratch that, she cant vote Rep right now.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:13 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Well I'm not a fan of Bush, but I splained to her that no other president would have had less security and caused less traffic.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

True, but another President might have different swing states.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:47 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Well I'm not a fan of Bush, but I splained to her that no other president would have had less security and caused less traffic.
That was nicely even-handed of you.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:59 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
That was nicely even-handed of you.
Even-handedness is part of good parenting, when they're old enough to vote you want them to have the tools. I just tell my girls that all politicians are evil liars, fair and balanced, that's me.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #13
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

That's pretty much what I tell them! Besides, I think people should dislike politicians for non-frivolous reasons.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Todays announcement;
Quote:
"To be clear, the President's visit is a campaign event. This means that the President's campaign organization is paying for all of the activities supporting his visit. Boeing is strictly adhering to PRO-43, the policy governing our company's involvement in political activity. The President is here to recognize the achievements of our people and our products; however, the timing of his visit requires that this be treated as a campaign activity. Therefore, all Boeing personnel are subject to company rules governing limitations on political activity at the site.
To permit and encourage as many employees and family members as possible to participate in this historic event, normal operations at Boeing Philadelphia will be suspended for Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2004.
OK, Bush is campaigning, but everyone else must adhere to Boeing policy that prohibits even wearing a political button, on site. Hmmmm.
Quote:
The event will be held outdoors on the campus' south side, in the parking lot between Buildings 3-57, 3-60 and 3-61 ("inside the U"). The south side main gate will open at 10 a.m. and close at 1:15 p.m. The President is scheduled to arrive by motorcade at about 1:30 p.m. After a brief tour of the Chinook line, he will address the audience. The entire visit is expected to last 90 minutes to two hours. Please remember that all times are subject to change.
Bush goes inside to look at the new paint, shiny floors and a shitload of flags they hung up while EVERYONE else sits out in the sun. Uh- huh.

The logistics of this event, astound me. One of the engineering buildings was recently painted and has a colorful mural across the top. Two helicopters will sit in front of that building, a low stage and podium in front of them. Facing the stage is multi level platforms with huge spotlights(3 pm?) and cameras with what appears to be huge audio/video control boards, all from PDA, Charleston, SC..

The sound system has 28 KF750F, and 8 SB1000E speakers by EAW, with an amp for each. I asked the tech how many watts? “A lot.” Wonder if they’ll play the soundtrack from Top Gun?
Power is from an Aggreko, shipping container sized generator and everything is fed to a New England Satellite Systems truck with a 2.4 meter reflector. Verizon had an army of techs running wires inside the building today.
There’s a row of standard Porta-pottys, two 8’x8’x8’ fancy Porta-pottys, and a bunch of drink vending trailers. Also it looks like they have a VIP food tent.
Everything had to be in place today so the Secret Service could come in tonight, with the dogs, to check everything out.

Boeing big shots are flying in from all over the world and the county politicians are scrambling for tickets.Keep in mind this is for a less than 2 hour visit.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:00 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Now we've all got a ticket!