The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Ibby
erika

SuperPAC Activism?

Why are there so few SuperPACs supporting activist positions on "fringe" issues? That is to say, why havent four or five rich potheads gotten together with a couple mil each to blast the airwaves with "legalize it"? why haven't the Rich-White-Gay elite just dumped millions into gay rights issues? As much as I hate the Citizens United decision (and support Sanders' Saving American Democracy amendment), I think this is a great chance for, well, basically, liberal Hollywood to put their money into issues, not candidates.

Of course, the same argument applies on the other side, but on social issues, the hyper-wealthy tend to be less conservative in general.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Jeffrey Katzenberg (CEO of DreamWorks Animation) He has contributed $2 million to Obama-affiliated Priorities USA Action PAC.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
classicman

Ibs (is it still ok to call you that?)

Here is a good list of all the Super PAC's and their info. You can sort the list by a few different options as well.
Quote:
As of February 08, 2012, 314 groups organized as Super PACs have reported total receipts of $98,650,993 and total independent expenditures of $46,311,863 in the 2012 cycle.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Ibby
erika

Right. And those are almost all candidate or party-oriented PACs. I'm asking, WHY aren't there more issues-PACs being started by wealthy people? And I ask it of course in the context of being a pinko, so, why haven't enough rich liberals used the new looser rules to start a PAC and run commercials for their issues? If Snoop Dogg put even half as much money into legalization PACs as he spends on weed, the national conversation could be substantively changed on drug issues, for instance.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Politics is like movie making. An extremely expensive and risky game.
You can spend millions and not even be heard.

I give you Sir Elton John:
Rich - tick.
Gay - tick.
Out - tick.
Outspoken - tick.

He puts time and money into charities publicly and privately. He wields considerable influence. He has a well known AIDs foundation and throws must-go-to parties which celebs abase themselves to attend. He is in a civil partnership and has a baby, and he's so accepted that anything he does is a big FUCK YOU to homophobes.

Why should he get involved in politics?
His world is music.

Why should Snoop throw money into drug legislation? It will bring him nothing but grief. At least if he spends said money on weed, he'll get some pleasure out of it. I know almost nothing about him, but my guess is if he supports any charities they will be music based and/ or getting children out of gang danger. My apols if it turns out he is Ivy League educated (in which case he may have set up scholarships).

You can't affect politics by throwing money at it.
Money helps. Money diverts some issues and clouds others.
But people outside of political life have their own choices and preferences. And unlike politicians this is not their career, not their way to power and not the way they want to change the world. So why would they compromise, get into bed with enemies, put out propaganda, play dirty tricks..? Why not instead act, sing, write, give interviews, go on chat shows and make fun of opposing views, ENTERTAIN us until their POV seems normal and natural.

When I am a multi-millionaire I will support organised causes. I will not go into politics.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
classicman

Quote:
Wai .. What?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Politics is like movie making. An extremely expensive and risky game.
You can spend millions and not even be heard.

I give you Sir Elton John:
Rich - tick.
Gay - tick.
Out - tick.
Outspoken - tick.

He puts time and money into charities publicly and privately. He wields considerable influence. He has a well known AIDs foundation and throws must-go-to parties which celebs abase themselves to attend. He is in a civil partnership and has a baby, and he's so accepted that anything he does is a big FUCK YOU to homophobes.

Why should he get involved in politics?
His world is music.

Why should Snoop throw money into drug legislation? It will bring him nothing but grief. At least if he spends said money on weed, he'll get some pleasure out of it. I know almost nothing about him, but my guess is if he supports any charities they will be music based and/ or getting children out of gang danger. My apols if it turns out he is Ivy League educated (in which case he may have set up scholarships).

Money helps. Money diverts some issues and clouds others.
But people outside of political life have their own choices and preferences. And unlike politicians this is not their career, not their way to power and not the way they want to change the world. So why would they compromise, get into bed with enemies, put out propaganda, play dirty tricks..? Why not instead act, sing, write, give interviews, go on chat shows and make fun of opposing views, ENTERTAIN us until their POV seems normal and natural.

When I am a multi-millionaire I will support organised causes. I will not go into politics.
I guess my point is that the advent of the SuperPAC CHANGES all that. Have you heard much about Citizens United and SuperPACs? Basically anyone with money can donate an infinite amount to a SuperPAC with very little oversight, and very little disclosure, which can then run commercials, buy airtime, etc. So I would argue, the SuperPAC gives the wealthy an (entirely unfair, but nonetheless exploitable by either side) opportunity to take positions, to argue for political causes, in a way that keeps them shielded and separate from Politics-with-a-capital-P.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
classicman

Ibs - I think if you look closer at some of the PACs, you'll find they are about some specific issue/talking point that is important for them.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They don't have to go under the PAC system just to advocate for an issue.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have heard about SuperPAC. But funding comes out. It is leaked. There are accountants, lawyers, advisors. There is a paper trail.

And I repeat - money spent on politics is exremely high risk.
Millions disappear and society is its same obstreperous self. Think of the (haha) bottomless pit of money available to the Govt. Do they always get their way? Or are policies guided and reformed by public opinion. They certainly are in this country.

Business is more often in bed with politics than the arts.
Extremely wealthy gay businessmen may well be closeted.
And if they are open, then why should they put their sexuality ahead of monetary gain - straight businessmen are not required to. Grab, grab, grab, regardless of wht you like in the bedroom. Now that's equality.

I'm not disagreeing with you per se.
Just offering an alternative view.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
classicman

Quote:
I have heard about SuperPAC. But funding comes out. It is leaked. There are accountants, lawyers, advisers.
There is a paper trail.
Not really, THAT is the whole point. That changed with the Super PACs.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No.
There is always a paper trail. Legally accessed or otherwise.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
classicman

Not true - That is the whole point.

Quote:
Not all donors will be disclosed. Super PACs can establish non-profit arms that shield donors
and concentrate on issues ads…you know, the kind of scare-the-hell-out-of-voter ads
Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Fair enough.
Given the recent phone hacking "scandal" here I am understandably cynical of any guarantee of privacy.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Basically, SuperPACs have to disclose their donors, but they can accept unlimited money from organizations that don't. So they set up an organization that has no accountability, and accept money from them.

But I agree that the anonymity is only as strong as that organization makes it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote