View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My parents still listen to plays on the radio. At least they did before they retired - thinking about it, they haven't done so since I've moved back in. Like everything else they enjoy, they don't seem to have time now. Both retired? Go figure

I've always been a bigger fan of radio comedy personally.
Blame MTV (even if I didn't see it until I was in my 20s!) for not committing to anything longer than half an hour.
Apart from The Goon Show and Round the Horne - childhood staples that should always be accompanied by the scraping of carrots and the smell of roasting chicken. My own favourite was Radio Active, which we used to tape off the radio and listen to again and again, and talk about at school, and do impressions. When I was about 15 it had the same popularity as The Young Ones and Spitting Image had a couple of years beforehand. Then again, we all had radio cassettes in our bedrooms rather than television, so it was our secret, teenage pleasure, which didn't have to be shared with our families (only my bro ever got to listen to my tapes).

Mum & Dad get the Radio Times every week (other listings magazines are available) so I'll really have to start checking them carefully. There's bound to be loads I like. And given that the 'rents are having a West Wing marathon or something these days, I'm back in the teenager-in-the-bedroom situation again!