View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #124
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I really dont understand all the flak that seems to come Marichiko's way. I hear that story and I think, Damn I would hate that. I hear that story and I am amazed she is still trying at all. How many people faced with those kinds of difficulties would just give up on life? Maybe if she'd been born with those difficulties everyone would be a little more sympathetic. The fact she has been poisoned in adulthood and had her mental faculties severely hampered and her career pulled from under her feet seems to engender at best disbelief and at worst disdain. Get a grip guys, give the woman a break for fucks sake.

The American dream is alive and well because it is precisely that, a dream. Whether or not the dream is as achievable for many as it may once have been is a different question altogether. I'd like to think as an ideal you wont let that one die. Right now I suspect it's a dream which many share but which few achieve. Maybe if people like Marichiko and the millions of other Americans who have been abandoned by their system at various times in life could be given a little more compassion and help and rather less bitchy disdain and hostility then they too may be in a position to pursue their dreams.

Thank you for saying that Dana. I can somewhat relate to Mari's situation. While I haven't gone through half of what she has went through, I went through quite about enough BS with the state of PA, and currently, with stupid ass doctors that don't know what the hell they are doing (I'll be switching docs in Novemeber).

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote