View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman
As an aside - A neighbor brought up in conversation that some friends were allowing minors to drink wine with the holiday dinner. Some thought it was just fine and mentioned that the "Italians" do it all the time. Uh, no. I've not heard of this, nor have any of my relatives that I asked about it.
I don't know about Italians specifically, but two German exchange students I knew in high school both mentioned that their parents would let them drink wine with dinner, and their (admittedly biased) assessment of this was that it was a good thing, that European teenagers did not find drinking to be rebellious or a big deal, so they didn't have any motivation to get stupidly drunk like American kids did.

My parents let me have small amounts of alcohol in the house on rare occasions, but it was usually an after-dinner thing, not wine with dinner. My dad firmly believed that if he tried to keep me away from it entirely, that would just guarantee I would go on raging benders in college trying to make up for lost time.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote