View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #169
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Let's not worry too hard about Kingswood being stubborn about this, either. I can think of worse hobbyhorses to ride, and if this is his, it's still a reasonably amusing couple of laps around the carousel.
The only stubbornness in this thread are those people who get too precious when their views on the immutability of spelling are challenged, and who resort to puerile name-calling and other gutter tactics when they cannot refute a point any other way.

I could have done the same quite easily. However, I did not. It's clear where the moral high ground lies, and it is not with those who chose to demonize rather than refute.

Is it wrong to point out that some words in the English language have spellings that are demonstrably flawed? No. It's a shame that some people here simply cannot handle having this pointed out to them.

Is it wrong to question authority or challenge orthodoxy? No. If we never did this, women would not have the vote in any country and citizens of the USA would still be British subjects, being taxed without representation.