View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

My great-grandfather, who left a job as a silk-finisher in Glasgow that didn't let him support his family. He shipped out to northern Ontario to oversee land for an absentee landlord who turned out to be the owner of a major mine in that area. My great-granddad sent for my great-grandmother as soon as he could; she arrived in late summer with six children (off an Atlantic steamer into Halifax, and then by rail to Ontario and up to, I believe, White Lake - north of Superior - in the back of beyond today and even more so then). When she arrived by train with the children there was no permanent house or shelter for them, and winter was coming on. My great-grandfather was supervising a logging camp at the time. My great-grandmother stood 4'10" and weighed in the neighborhood of 90 lb soaking wet, but she prevailed on my great-grandfather and the logging crews to construct a house for her and the children before the snow flew. Later they moved to Sault Ste Marie and thence to Sudbury, where I was born considerably later (and after my great-grandfather died). I remember my great-grandmother as a woman of strong personality even in her 90s. If I should live so long, I hope someone will remember me in the same way.