View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 12:55 AM   #39
hermit22
sleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
McVeigh wasn't about Christianity so much as he was about sticking it to the government. I think he was very... right in his ideals. But went about getting the message across in a totally unappropriate manner.

John Allen Muhammad follows Islam; no one is calling him an "Islamic terrorist". Just a terrorist. I think that's important.
I think it's a good thing they aren't labelling Muhammad as a Muslim, but that's probably because he's from <crap, the name of the sect escapes me>, which is considered by many Muslims to be pretty tin-foil hat extreme.

McVeigh mimicked The Turner Diaries, which was rooted strongly in the Christian Identity movement.

Maggie....

I'll address the fascism thing first, because it's quick, and easier. Look up fascism. One of the first requirements is nationalism - and bin laden isn't looking for that on any level.

Quote:
You'd better read the first fatwah again, then come back and tell me it's a social document whose central theme isn't the call for imposition of religion in the place of secular law.
Ok, just read the fatwah again, and I still got the same message: it is a social commentary in the vein of Qutb and Al-Bana. The basic message (of the first part; the second part is his call to battle) is that Islam has been corrupted by the West, and the result is social oppression. The two most poignant situations of this, according to bin laden, are Israel/Palestine and Saudi Arabia. He speaks of the social inequities that have arisen because of the influence of the West on the ruling class. In this way, he sounds like a less intelligent Qutb or al-Banna. So yeah, it calls for an overthrow of secular law, but it is because that secular law has created a corrupt social system.