View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #47
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Yeah, I know about Iron Dome. I thought it was a really useful thing and might give Israel some breathing space to engage in other methods than wholesale slaughter.
If Israel wanted to engage in wholesale slaughter in Gaza there would be no Gazans. (And they would be using much different tools for the job.)

Quote:
With the Iron Dome system in place, Hamas is effectively almost neutralized as a threat to Israeli citizens.
It's not Hamas. It's the people sending missiles to Hamas.

And the current level of defense works, I mean, as long as you're fine getting shot at as long as the bullets don't kill you. But it'll only work until better missiles get there. Of course one could prevent better missiles from entering Gaza and in fact the sea blockade has prevented much more serious munitions from getting through.

Oh, but you are against the blockade!!

Do you think more Gazans are gonna not die if Tel Aviv loses 10 city blocks? Do you want actual wholesale slaughter of Gazans? Because that's how you get actual wholesale slaughter of Gazans. Not to mention worldwide economic upheaval, which in effect kills millions.

Iran is giving Hamas munitions. Why, if Hamas is so ineffective as you say? Well the Shiite world is projecting its international power by giving money, power, and arms to the locals. Are you cool with that?

Not asking if you're cool with arming the locals, everybody does that. I mean would you prefer to live in a Shiite world? At the very least you would be required, Inquisition-style, to convert.

Quote:
And @ Clod: as for the idea that anybody who stays in Gaza deserves to die: they cannot leave. That's why people have started referring to it as an open air prison. They have no choice but to stay. They are boxed in by land, air and sea.
They're surrounded! On all three sides... out of... four.

Quote:
I wasn't going to come in here again. I'm probably going to stay out of here though from now.
I won't have it. You get right back in here and argue with me young lady.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote