View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 03:13 PM   #146
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Once outside the body, the child is still just as dependant on its mother for survival as it was when it was inside her body.
For this discussion, please use the standard biological definition for the term "parasite" and not another. While a child (not a fetus) is dependent as an infant, it isn't necessarily dependent on the mother. It could be dependent on adopted parents, on the father, on a pack of wolves, etc. Let's keep it to the biological definition please.

Quote:
From what most everyone else is telling me, our laws in this country are Christian-based.
Everyone else is giving you false information then. The government and laws of United States of America have NEVER been based on Christianity or the bible. America is not a Christian nation and it never will be.

Quote:
I've had two abortions. I've killed 2 children. Whether I call them fetuses or babies is irrelevant. There are 2 less human beings in the world because of my actions. I am a murderer, just as sure as Travis is.
A fetus is not a person. At best they are a "potential" person. Not fulfilling that potential is hardly "murder" and it's not even the loss of a human life. A fetus does not possess human life which is defined by sentience. An abortion is the loss of potential, not the loss of a life.

Quote:
I just think we need to stop trying to make it sound anything other than what it is.
I agree. So stop trying to make it sound as though it were a crime, or that it violated the rights of another person. No matter how hard you try to word it, a fetus is not a person and an abortion is not a murder. It is a medical procedure. But this wasn't even an abortion. It was simply someone making a choice to refuse to have surgery. Charging someone with a crime for this is no different at all from charging them with a crime for choosing not to take their tonsils out.

Quote:
So, the woman who is pregnant should NOT put the child's welfare above her own (or at least, make sure that the child's health and well being is as "perfect" as possible)???
That is a matter of opinion, not a matter of law. In my personal opinion if I were told that while my wife was in labor that only she or the child would live, I'd hope my wife lived.

Quote:
Just to make it more fun, lets call 'em "human beings" regardless if they exist in the womb, are a larva, pupae, worm, adult, whatever.
Why would we call a fetus a human being when a fetus doesn't possess human life? A fetus is not a human being. Human life is defined by sentience which a fetus doesn't have.

Quote:
I agree. She didn't murder the baby, she purposfully and willfully let it die.
No, she didn't even do that. She chose to accept the risks of having the child without a C-Section and it didn't work out. But as someone mentioned, if a person is drowning in front of you, and you don't save them, you are not guilty of a crime. Nor is this woman.

Quote:
Ok, so does she get ANY type of punishment, or is she allowed to just go home and try again?
She shouldn't be punished other than the feelings of guilt she may have. I would hope she learned a lesson and didn't get pregnant, but it's not up to me, you, or every single other person in America combined.

Quote:
You have the right to choose to put the child's welfare above your own. But you are not required to do so. It is like the CPR reference I made. I can choose to save your life, but I don't have to. It's also not a crime if I decide not to do so.
Very well said.