View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Either that is the greatest flying turkey picture of all time, or someone stuck a mounted bird outside on a tree to take the shot. It looks like the label on a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Albatrosses and turkeys both do much more gliding than actual flying. They *can* get airborne from the ground, but they don't like it much. They both take a long, clumsy run to get it accomplished, and neither can really ascend from a standing start by simply flapping their wings, unless they've got a brisk headwind. Albatrosses in particular prefer cliffs where the wind takes an upward course, so they can simply spread their wings and get lifted off of the ground by it.

I once saw a turkey fly over eight lanes of interstate plus the median strip in rush hour traffic at an altitude of about 18-wheeler windshield feet (it was already airborne when I saw it). It flapped its wings about three times across that distance. The landing probably would have been pretty impressive, though, as it was going to occur in a heavily wooded, steeply downsloping piece of terrain.