View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #201
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What was seriously bumming your stone but now you are totally stoked?

What was seriously bumming your stone but now you are totally stoked?

After half a dozen malfunctions (misfires, failure to eject, failure to cycle) at last month's silhouette match (I came in 6th) I decided I better replace the springs, firing pin, and extractors in my rifle.

I found a great company that makes better quality springs and I was installing the hammer spring when all of a sudden... sproing! tink! the spring and the hammer strut bridge went flying at the speed of sound into the dark and dusty recesses of my shop.

The shop was about as dirty and disorganized as it's ever been. Three inches of sawdust and wood shavings, buckets and buckets of screws, nails, small parts. Hundreds of offcuts and wood scraps, tools and so on.

The fuckers were gone. It was only a $6.00 spring, but $7.00 shipping and another week wait, plus I am half Scottish. God only knows who carries the Strut bridge.

Color my stone well and truly bummed. My groove properly scorched.

So I started to slowly and methodically clean the shop. First I recognized the sound of the bridge hitting the shop vac. (Perfect pitch--the shop vac has a different tone than the tablesaw base) and almost immediately found the strut bridge.

I didn't hear the spring hit anything which meant that it either landed in the garbage can or into one of the half dozen mounds of sawdust and shavings, or else into the general shavings milieu.

a few hours of sweeping, sifting, and magnet dragging turned up nothing.

Still serioulsy bummed, I had to go to bed.

Next moring I was at it again and after a few hours I picked it up in the shavings with my magnetic sweep.

So now I am totally stoked since I found and installed the spring AND I have a 75% clean shop!