View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #11244
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I was going to post this yesterday but it slipped past me.

So ... some may have seen me post in the whats' bumming your stone thread a little while ago about Carrot's brother, Merlot being very ill, and the two Js being stranded here in the UK desperately trying to get back to him before he died.

Jude even got a flight to Hanoi, but when he reached Seoul for his connecting flight, discovered the entry requirements had changed so had to come straight back to the UK.

Merlot passed away yesterday - he'd rallied the way they often do near the end, and the kennel staff sent them videos of him happily bumbling about the place - he had the run of the kennels, due to the indefinite nature of their stay, Merlot and Biscuit have been treated like the kennel's dogs rather than guests.

He went peacefully - had palpitations and then slipped away on the lap of one of his favorite people at the kennels.

On the one hand, I am glad that dogs don;t think like we do - that Carrot is unaware and will remain so - on the other hand, there is this tiny illogical bit of me that feels almost guilty that I know this and he doesnt. He'll never see his brother again. He doesn't know this and doesn't miss him - they only saw each other a few times a year usually and he hasnt seen him for over a year since he moved to Hanoi - but I know it. And that makes me feel quite sad.

I also feel deeply sorry for the two Js, especially Jude - he moved heaven and earth to get to his poorly boy and got sooo close. I know he's hurting. They both are - but Janet's a lot better at coping with shit like this than he is.

Anyway - that's what is upsetting me at the moment.

RIP Merlot - you were the happiest most optimistic dog ever - right to the end. I will miss you being in the world. And if Carrot was capable of knowing - he wold miss you too.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote