View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #1674
glatt

Is this a Real ID renewal?

They have again postponed the requirement for a Real ID drivers license in order to fly domestically, but before they had done that, I needed to renew my license in the spring. Ifyou want the optional Real ID license, you need to bring your birth certificate, SS Card, and, IIRC, two (2) utility bills or similar to show that you live where you say you live. It's kind of random what they will accept as a utility bill. Anyway, I scrambled around to find the required random paperwork in order to get my Real ID. My wife has her name on most of that stuff because she usually processes those payments, so it was a pain for me to find acceptable proof that I lived here.

And when I was at the DMV waiting in line for an hour to get my renewal, there was a fairly steady stream of pissed off customers going back out the door empty handed after waiting in that long line because the paperwork they brought was insufficient.

It makes me a little concerned for my kids, because they have the youth license that expires sooner, but they have no utilities in their names. Zip. Nada. So how can they prove that they live here?

Ironically, a passport is easier to get, and you can use one as ID to fly when the postponed Real ID deadline rears its head again if you don't have the super special driver's license.

I'm fairly certain all of this Real ID hassle is the Republicans' doing after 9/11.

It would be really ironic if Clodfobble's relative supports Republicans.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote