View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #133
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

I disagree. For myself, our stewardship is entirely based on our need to not screw up our environment. I'm not an animist, or an eco-freak. I just know that systems don't last as long as they have without some degree inherent balance. Humans mess up that balance at this point. Early on we were incapable of enough damage to skew things. Now, on the other hand, we can do significant harm. Our only obligation is to ourselves, but that obligation involves tending our fields not shepharding our or the animal's souls. I agree that we don't know enough though.
There are predators out there that can kill almost anything in their neighborhood. They don't because there is no need. They kill enough to eat and killing more would be a waste of energy. But they don't have "stewardship" or "domain" over they rest of the critters.
I believe we agree, we would be wise to follow their example and only take what we need and leave the rest alone.
The point I was making, or trying to, is that "stewardship" or "domain" over the beasts is a religious thing, and I don't buy it.