View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 08:07 PM   #129
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I do not approve of killing the birds. No how. No way.
That said, I don't believe the flora and fauna of the earth was left to my stewardship, or yours. That's a religious thing.
Humans are just another critter left to his only devices to survive in a very hostile world. We were better equipt and have evolved to where if we really put out mind to it, could control everything, maybe even the weather to some degree. But that gives us neither the obligation nor right to do so.
Sure, it would be smart to take a que from other critters not to be screwing everything up around us. Those birds might dine on a bug that could wipe us out. There's too much we don't know.
I disagree. For myself, our stewardship is entirely based on our need to not screw up our environment. I'm not an animist, or an eco-freak. I just know that systems don't last as long as they have without some degree inherent balance. Humans mess up that balance at this point. Early on we were incapable of enough damage to skew things. Now, on the other hand, we can do significant harm. Our only obligation is to ourselves, but that obligation involves tending our fields not shepharding our or the animal's souls.

I agree that we don't know enough though.